Random Randomness and Then Some Tunes

Friday, March 23, 2012

"A good listener is usually thinking about something else."  -  Kin Hubbard

The sun is finally shining here in Crazyland and it feels mighty fine. I spent the better part of the day sitting in my tacky old camping chair, reading a book and watching Moxie Pants draw with chalk and chase birds. She was hell bent on catching one of those singing birds on her finger so that she could put it in her back pack to take her BFF's house to show her.

It was delightfully perfect. I had the sun beating down on my mug, and my baby chatting my ear off about birds and chalk towns.

Nirvana, it was. 

And, I just might do it again today.

As long as the wind stops and the clouds go away, that is.

*****

Need I say more? 

 *****
I watched my kids yesterday, happily interacting with each other it made me soar further into my happy place. At one point the two oldest actually embraced in a heartfelt hug and I nearly died from happiness. Everyone was running around, laughing, playing, joking and I just wanted to pause the moment and bask in its perfectness. This, this perfect moment of everyone being happy and playing together, is the moment that will be seared into my brain forever. It's the moment that we have been tirelessly working towards.

Yesterday it finally showed up and I damn near died from the sheer joy of watching it unfold.

This past several years have been rocky, rough and frankly like walking the seventh rim of Hell. Truthfully, I didn't think that we would ever survive, let alone find ourselves surfing the Nirvana waves like we were yesterday. I can honestly look back to where I was last year, and the year before and I don't even recognize not just the person that I was,  but that family we were. We have all changed, and it has been for the better.

It's costing us an arm, a leg and a couple of ear lobes to facilitate these changes, but you know what? It's money well spent. At the end of the day stuff is just stuff, but people and relationships? They mean WAY more than just crappy old stuff.

For the first time in YEARS my family is happy. And that makes this Mama very happy.

*****


This song makes me want to go do something AWESOME. 

*****
Interested in winning a $100 Visa Gift Card or one of two $50 Visa Gift Cards? You can and it's freaking easy, too. All you have to do is hop over to the 1940's Census blog and then download the Indexing software and do a practice batch.

That's it.

Indexing is cathartic. It's easy and a way to loose yourself in your thoughts while you are doing something worthwhile.

Heck, you can even index on your smart phone.

Which I do at church all the time if the lessons or speakers are boring.

Don't judge.

I'm making my kids do 30 minutes of Indexing every day this summer before they can have Internet, TV or Video Game time. It's an easy way for them to do something good, use the technology that they like and not lose brain cells. Besides, it's serving and they just might find that the actually like it.

Shhh. Don't tell them.

Let's let it be a fun little surprise for them.

{insert maniacal laugh}

Anyway.

I'm sort of excited for the 1940 Census to come out because I'm hoping to find both sets of my Grandparents names in the Census. Not for any other reason than I miss them and it will be very cool to be able to see a brief snap-shot of their lives at that time.

We all know someone who was alive during the 1940 Census so Take 30 minutes and index a practice batch. You never know, you may decide you like it.  Besides, anyone can do it. You don't have to be a specific religion to want to know about your family line, or to even Index so take the time to learn how to find out more about YOUR family. Knowing the stories of our family can help shape the people we, and who our children become.

*****

That's it for this weeks randomness, peeps. I hope you have a fun filled, sun filled weekend in your future. 
It's amazing what a little sunshine can do for the soul, no? 

Catch ya on the flipside! 

  1. I Love You but I Don't Know What to Say - Ryan Adams
  2. Maps - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
  3. Sideways - Citizen Cope
  4. Never Satisfied (revisited) - Jackie Greene
  5. Get Up, Get Up, Get Up - Barcelona
  6. One of Those Days - Joshua Radin
  7. Blue Mind - Alexi Murdoch
  8. Jolene - Ray LaMontagne 
  9. Wishlist - Pearl Jam
  10. Hearts a Mess - Gotye

Bonus: Oh - Dave Matthews Band


  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes