Random Randomness and then some Tunes

Friday, April 29, 2011

“Truly great friends are hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget.”  -Unknown
 
 I spent the day at Women's Conference yesterday and it was the best day I have had in a long time.  It was sunny, I was with my sister and one of my friends, I was getting lots of exercise.  Then I ran into one of my dearest friends from Chicago. She grabbed me and when my eyes focused and I registered who she was I screeched with delight and immediately started to cry as we embraced in the tightest hug ever.

It was a remarkable experience to see this woman who was my inspiration as to who I wanted to be like when I "grew up". We served in a Stake Primary Presidency together, and Relief Society. Our children were best friends and she is the type of woman I hope to become-- Kind, thoughtful, spiritual, genuine, real. She is a virtuous woman of God and she made a difference in my life.

I suspect that this reunion I experienced at Women's Conference with my dear friend is what Heaven will be like as we are reunited with those with whom we have interacted with during our life.

I also ran into one of my friends from college-- I haven't seen her in over twelve years. I have thought about this woman often and I have even tried Googling her so that we could reconnect. We also were good friends, and she was a pivotal friend... I love how the Lord blesses me with very specific tender mercies just when I need them most.

*****
My friends are my Tender Mercies from The Lord.

I appreciate every single one of them.

I found my thoughts centered around all the friends that I have had over my life as I drove home from BYU last night.

I am so grateful for every single one of them-- Old and New.

Women need Women.

Once you have experienced what it is like to have a real girl friend, you are never willing to go without it again. Ever. That is how I feel about all of my friends, who are scattered over the globe. What a blessing they have been in my life, and the majority have been sent into my life right at the exact moment I have needed them.

A Tender Mercy, indeed.

*****
I love Women's Conference.

It is the best time of the year for me, and I look forward to it all year long. I know that I will finally get my bucket filled when I go and it doesn't matter what class I take. I come away motivated to try harder to be a better mother and wife. To be more present in the little moments of life.

My friend, Carol,  really wanted to go this class for the last hour on Pioneer Stories. I was rather uninterested, but I wanted to hang with her, so I went. Can I just say again how things are never as they seem?!

This class was not about Pioneers, but about Faith. It was exactly what I needed to hear and I was so glad that I went to it.

That is always what happens to me at Women's Conference-- the class that I least want to attend ends up being not only the class that is the most spiritual for me, but the one that answers the secret prayers of my heart.
*****
One of the classes today said that when you experience those Tender Mercies in your life it's the Lords way of letting you know that he is pleased with your life.

I really like that.

Everyone needs to know they are on the right track, and when you receive that Tender Mercy, you know The Lord approves.
*****
When you always hear the same word or message in every talk you hear, then you know that is the Lords way of trying to teach you and help you change.

Every year it's a different word or phrase that I hear.

This year, I have heard repeatedly the word Distracted.

I know that The Lord is trying to teach me about being distracted and how to avoid that trap. I am starting to realize what it is that I need to be studying so that I can become a little better.

Satan distracts us from our lives and relationships-- and sometimes we're even distracted with good things. He's tricky like that. Stupid Satan.

Stop the distractions to be more engaged... Present More.
*****
I'll be writing up my favorite quotes or nuggets of information over the next couple of days, so watch out for those!

Catch ya on the flip side! 

1. Too Much (Live) - Dave Matthews Band
2. Freedom 90 - George Michael
3. Like We Never Loved At All - Faith Hill
4. Wide Open Spaces - Dixie Chicks
5. The Remedy (I Won't Worry) - Jason Mraz
6. Better Man - Pearl Jam
7. Across The Universe - Rufus Wainwright
8. Silence Is Easy - Starsailor
9. Out Of Hand (Extended Version) - The Mighty Lemon Drops
10. Breakout - Swing Out Sister

Bonus: She Will Be Loved (Acoustic) - Maroon 5  *This is the best version of this song. Period. I mean bongo drums? Yes please!


  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes