Random Randomness and Then Some Tunes
Friday, July 19, 2013
I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think its the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most important thing in a person. - Audry Hepburn
Word.
I love to laugh. There is absolutely nothing that is more cleansing than a good gut-busting laugh. One that leaves you with tears streaming down your face and a little wet spot in your panties. It's healing for the soul to just laugh. Especially when you feel like crying.
There are certain people that you turn to who make you see the funny parts of life and then they laugh at you. Which then helps you be able to laugh at yourself. Being able to do that is essential to survival. You cannot take yourself so seriously that you can't laugh at yourself.
Being able to see the humor in your life is an important tool that I have tried to teach my children.
Be able to laugh at yourself. Others will, that's for sure. And, if you can laugh at yourself, it takes away their power and makes you more desirable. Wanna know why?
Cause you can laugh at yourself.
Laughter. It's a beautiful thing.
***
It's official. I'm old peeps.
How did I finally come to this conclusion? Well, I'll tell you. When I was younger, I was a thrill seeker. Anything I could do to get an adrenalin rush, I would seek after these things. I loved that rush. I rock climbed, rock repelled, went spelunking, mountain biking, back country skiing, river rafting, anything that was exciting or even just a titch dangerous, you could count me in.
Now?I get anxious riding the freaking Sky Ride at Lagoon.
I spend the whole time holding on to my babies begging them not to move a single muscle because I'm afraid they're going to slide off the ride and plummet to their death.
Roller Coasters not only make me majorly sick and give me vertigo, I worry the kids are going to fall out or the roller coaster is going to break and they'll all die.
Totally un-healthy fears? Yes. That's how I know I'm old.
I'm afraid of getting hurt and leaving my babies motherless and further, I'm afraid they will get hurt and leave me baby-less.
Which would be a fate worse than death, yo.
***
I am happy to report that I have kept up my goal of doing one fun thing a day with my children this summer. Even if that one fun thing is just going to get snow cones and the worlds best corn dogs. We're doing something adventurous every day and I am enjoying the hell out of my summer vacation.
Jefe said to me yesterday that he couldn't wait for school to start. I looked at him like he'd grown three heads. That is the first time I have ever heard him say something like that. Usually its me counting down the days until the schedule returns to normal. But not this year. I'm loving the bohemian life. It fits me like a weathered old glove.
When I asked why he wanted school to start, he responded that we're all home more when everyone is in school.
Which I understand. Jefe wants his people home, not gallivanting all over kingdom come.
***
![]() |
| Isn't she a beauty? |
Honestly? Me too.
I would miss her entirely too much if she were to move out yet. This mama is not ready to let her fly away.
It seems like yesterday that this little critter entered my life and it was forever changed. For good. She has been the light of my life and has brought me so much joy. I have enjoyed so much watching her grow up. Don't get me wrong, she's been a pill at times, worrying this old bag of bones, but for the most part, she has been an absolutely delightful child to raise. She is obedient (except for keeping her room cleaned), hasn't been out partying it up like a banshee. She is just a good kid. A talented kid. A smart kid. And, I'm so grateful to be her mother.
It's been interesting to me the past couple of months, because I can feel the dynamics of our relationship changing. She is an adult now, and as such is more of an equal. We give her advice on what to do, and even push her to make better choices (or any choice at all cough*college*cough) but then we let her govern herself. We have rules we expect her to follow, but I feel our relationship changing and I dearly love this new friendship we have. She is such a quick witted, delightful child. I'm so glad she's mine.
***
That's about all the randomness that I can vomit up for this week. Take it easy and remember to keep your arms and legs inside the ride at all times, hold on tight and have fun!
Catch ya on the flip side!
1. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (Live) - U2
2. Gone Gone Gone - Phillips Phillips
3. Southern Girl - Amos Lee
4. My Town - Montgomery Gentry
5. SkyFall - Adele
6. Bluesology - The Modern Jazz Quartet
7. Life's A Happy Song - The Muppets
8. La Vie En Rose - Louis Armstrong
9. Dog Days Are Over - Florence + The Machine
10. Come On Get Higher - Matt Nathanson
Bonus: Come Pick Me Up - Ryan Adams

