Random randomness and then some tunes

Friday, May 29, 2009

I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it. - Jack Handy SNL Deep Thoughts


I live in the same town now that I did when I was growing up. On some levels, I find it really weird. Sometimes, it creeps me out. And then, sometimes I actually love it. I find myself getting defensive when people who have been away for a long time start bagging on my small town. It's one thing when I do it. It's an entire new thing when someone else does it.

I am still in contact with some of my best friends from high school. Not many. But some. One of my dearest friends Dad died this week. I actually live down the street from them now. It was not a surprise as he has been extremely ill for several years.

My friend kept hugging me, telling me it was a blessing, and didn't it feel like a party? It did. People were laughing, and hugging and sharing wonderful memories. Her Dad would have liked the party that was held in his honor; it was a celebration of life.

And yet.

It was still hard to see my dear friend approaching an event that none of us are immune from. At some point in time, we all will travel the road of grief from the passing of a loved one. Not one of us is exempt... unless we have a heart of stone.

It has left me reflective on the lives of my parents. The lives of my sisters. The life of my spouse and children. And, of course, my life. What is it that I will be remembered for, when I die? Will you think I'm weird if I tell you that I have actually started writing my own obituary? Yes. Then I totally haven't.

When my father-in-law died, my husband and his siblings were so distraught that they left the obituary writing to the funeral home. It wasn't a very good obituary. Which was sad, because my father-in-law was a published author; A word smith. There are important things that I would want people to know about me. So, I have not started to write my obituary.

I was pretty emphatic with my children this week that when I die I want a closed casket viewing and then a party. A loud, rowdy party. A rip-roaring-play-the-music-too-loud-laugh-so-hard-you-cry-kind of a party.
No crying.
OK. They can cry but only {thismuch}.
I want them to celebrate and be happy.

*****

I have had a migraine for 4 days. Four very long days. Last night it got so bad that I actually took 2 pain pills and slipped into oblivion at 5:30pm. I didn't emerge from the Loratab fog until this morning... when the jack-hammer-using-squatter in my brain started up again. Ugh. I just can't seem to shake it.

For years, I have called Chiropractors Witch Doctors... but I am seriously considering a visit to one. Something's got to happen to get rid of this pesky squatter that I refer to hatefully lovingly as Bob. You know, Bob the-Freaking-Builder? Yeah. Hate him.

*****

School is out in 5 days.

Then what am I supposed to do with these kids?

(I have actually been planning some fun weekly field trips for the summer. I'll show you later. When my brain doesn't hurt.)

*****

Just in case you were wondering: An entire package of bum wipes, a roll of toilet paper-- still on the card board roll-- and a shirt --yes SHIRT-- will indeed flood the toilet. Do not try this at home. Moxie already did, and it's disastrous.
Just sayin'.

*****

It's the father-'n-sons camp out this weekend. You know what that means? Laying around all night. Watching the movies that Jefe won't watch with me. Eating take-out-- in my bedroom. Yeah.
Good times.

Have a great weekend.

Catch ya on the flip side!

1. The Bully - Sia
2. Let Them Be Little - Billy Dean
3. Ants Marching - Dave Matthews Band
4. Truth - Amos Lee
5. Can't Get Enough of Your Love, Babe - Barry White *this song makes me DANCE!*
6. It Won't Be Like This For Long - Darius Rucker
7. Shelter - Ray LaMontagne
8. Keep It Loose, Keep It Tight - Amos Lee
9. These Girls - Rachael Yamagata
10. Watershed - Indigo Girls

Bonus: Beautiful - G. Love & Special Sauce


  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes