Be Mine Everyday
Thursday, February 11, 2010

I hate Valentine's Day.
I know, right? How can I expect to get anything "good" for the big V-day if I have an attitude like that and outwardly tell the Universe that I think it's a sucktastic holiday.
But it's the truth. I really do hate Valentine's Day, and here's the thing: I don't want anything, nor do I really need anything. Jefe provides me with an amazing life. I come and go as I please; eating lunch with my girlfriends whenever the fancy strikes and if I decide I need something, he usually buys it for me. He provides me with a cozy, comfortable life.
Just so you know, Jefe is the most thoughtful man around. I never tell him what I want—He just knows. He pays attention and is very attentive. I on the other hand totally suck at gift giving. I really do. I hate it when I have to try and think of gifts to give people because typically they are a #massivefail.
Let's face it girls, this is a made up holiday to feed our egos. A holiday created by corporate America and I really hate feeding into that commercialism. Isms in my opinion are bad, very bad. Besides that, I really do hate this holiday because of all the un-necessary pressure it puts on people.
How many times have you heard about people getting in fights on Valentine's Day because one or the other of the person wasn't "thoughtful" enough? I know of lots. One of them is typing this post.
How many times do you hear about men stressing and asking about what they should get their girl? They don't want her to think all they want is sex and they don't want her to think they are too serious or not serious enough… stress. That is what this holiday does to a lot of people. It stresses them out.
So, if I have the most amazing man on the planet as my spouse who attends to my every whim, the question begs asking: Why am I such a hater?
I hate Valentine's Day because I don't want him to give me a gift because he has to, I want him to give me a gift because he wants to. I know. I'm totally high maintenance. But, I think I'm low maintenance and that's the worst kind of high maintenance to be.
I would rather have a gift on a Tuesday in April, Or a Thursday in October or a Monday in August. Not on the expected February 14th. It means more to me when he spontaneously gives me gifts—because it means he was thinking about me because he loves me—not because he had to think about me.
And, I know he feels the same. We have had numerous conversations about this very thing. I get teary eyed when he comes home from work with a bouquet of fresh flowers—just because he thought I would like them. I get warm fuzzy's when he calls from work "because I was thinking about you and wondered how your day was going". I get excited when I come home from being gone and he has gone the extra mile to clean the kitchen, bathe the kids and put them to bed. Those are the things that show me Jefe loves me. Not some stupid made up holiday with cheesy-over-the-top hallmark cards.
It's the everyday stuff that does it for me girls. So this year we will have a normal, go about your business kind of a day. No cards. No holiday-hoobadee-what-y. Nothing. But, maybe next Thursday I'll buy him a new CD—just because he was on my mind.
