Unfiltered Thoughts of a Three-Year-Old (who is really four but doesn’t want to be four. EVER.)
Thursday, March 22, 2012
Moxie is at the age where she says pretty much everything that comes to her mind and it keeps us not only on our toes, but laughing hysterically.
She notices everything and comments on it all. Sans a filter and I sort of love it.
Because this kid?
She’s funny.
Peeps.
Her sense of humor is strong and prevalent. It’s one of the things I love about her! She’s only four, and she has a super quick wit and wry sense of humor. It makes me excited to see what it evolves into the older she gets.
Take for instance these conversations that she had with me and her siblings. We were chatting in bed the other night—because “she found her words and they needed to get out” – and she was jumping from one train of thought to the next faster than a speeding bullet.
We would barely get registered the funny things she was saying, and she was off again on another brain tangent.
I love it when my kids are this age. Every single one of them has had these verbal purge moments and it completely melts my heart and is the highlight of mothering for me. They say basically everything that comes to mind—and yes. Sometimes it’s even inappropriate.
{ Why is that man so fat Mommy? }
{Why does the birds sing like that Mommy?}
{What is that man’s name Mommy? No. Really. WHAT is his name [this is when I make up strange names and stories about the people she wondering about, just so that she will move on to the next thought] }
It always makes me sad when they grow out of this stage because this is the best one of all. We can listen to them say everything that we are thinking, and they can’t get in trouble for it ‘cause they’re too dang cute. And further, we can join in and be silly with them and not even bat an eye at the awkwardness that is the conversation. Those are the best conversations ever.
Take these most recent ones:
Me: Where’s my phone?
Moxie: People’s makes lots of calls, huh Mom?
Me: Yeah.
Moxie: Well. The man says ‘One Call, and That’s All.’
Me: {gut busting laugh} YES! Yes He. Does.
Moxie: And you know what Mom?
Me: What?
Moxie: I thinks he’s right. Peoples makes too many calls. One is enough.
*****
Me: Want some fries?
Moxie: Yes.
{Silence while fries are eaten}
Moxie: Mom?
Me: Yes?
Moxie: Did you know that Unicorns live on Mars?
*****
The day we move into boring, regular every-day conversations is the day I start to mourn. She is my baby. My last. The end of the awesome, off-the-wall conversations spurred on by sporadic, uncensored, unfiltered thoughts.
I loves it and I will miss it.
