Good Job
Sunday, November 06, 2005
I am impressed with myself. I worked really hard yesterday, and got all the bookcases moved and put back together. Hombre hates their new homes, but I wanted a place to display my nativities. I suppose we can try to figure out where to relocate them to once the holidays are over. The list was checked off this weekend. The toilet was fixed, the desk taken down and the new one put up. Which I like the looks of quiet a bit! So, I feel pretty good about the work that I acomplished. I am easily impressed.
I have been reading this book--well, actually I have several books that I have been reading. The one that I decided to work on last night completely consumed me. Its one of the those books that has several plot lines going. Well, I got really absorbed in this one plot line, and couldn't stand the time it was taking to get through all the other plots, so I started skipping ahead to find out what was happening to this character... It was driving me nuts. You know that you are reading a good book when you start to talk to the characters, and get all mad at them because you can see where every single little decision they are making is just sending them closer to distruction. I kept moaning outloud with each new twist in her plot. When I finally finished her plot line, I thought: "I'll get me a drink, and go back and finish all the others now". I looked at the clock and about had a heart attack. I had started reading at 8:30pm--when I finally stopped, it was 2:15--IN THE MORNING!!! I was shocked. I had no clue that it was that late. I was completely absorbed in my book! It didn't feel THAT late, or that I had been reading for almost 6 hours... Usually, I can't read that long without getting a headache--but it was different with this one. I HAD to find out what happened to this character. It was infuriating! I still am thinking about her-- that, my friends, is a sign of a good book. Now, I just need to go finish the rest of the book.
I have several other books that I have been reading. I have given up on one of them "Midwives"... It really bugs me the way he uses colons on every single page. He uses colons the way I use periods. It was nerve wracking-- I even started circling them, just to see how often he used them... I kept showing them to Hombre, and asking the "Editor" of the family why in Allah's name would he (the author) use them so much-- he didn't know. Which, I might add, bugged me even more, cause I think Hombre is pretty smart. So, if he was stumped, then it had to be wrong! Reasonable logic, I think!
Anyway, my stack of books keeps getting larger and larger, and my list keeps getting longer and longer. I have so many books to read, I will be entertained all winter long. Plus, there just happens to be more great books coming out every week. I really want to read the new Amy Tan book-Saving Fish From Drowning and the new Anita Shreve book-A wedding in December. There is also the book The Widow of the South, and Son of Witch (the sequel to Wicked). I have a notebook that I have been writing them all down in, and then crossing them off when I finish them... It just keeps getting longer and longer. I like that. I think that a well educated person will read... and read as much as they are able.
I have found the University that has the EXACT program that I am wanting to finish my degree in... I just have to figure out how in the heck I am going to pay for it. There isn't enough left over each month to cover $1,200 in tuition and books. I need to set up a time to go up to the financial aide office and see if there aren't some sort of grants/scholarships that I could get. I really, really, really want to finish. It would be a degree in Literature with an emphasis on 19th and 20th century authors. I would like to also have an emphasis on Children and Young Adult fiction. Then I would like to pursue a Masters Degree and then teach. Maybe at a Community College or something equivalent. I dunno. I wish the school fairy would just show up and say:"Anonymous Lady, You are all registered for school, and your tuition and books are all covered. Good luck!" Would'nt that be nice? I don't know where to even start. It seems so overwhelming, but, unfortunately there isn't going to be that magic little fairy. I hope that I can get this all figured out before I turn 50... HA!
Borrowing my favorite writer: Be well, do good work, and keep in touch!
I have been reading this book--well, actually I have several books that I have been reading. The one that I decided to work on last night completely consumed me. Its one of the those books that has several plot lines going. Well, I got really absorbed in this one plot line, and couldn't stand the time it was taking to get through all the other plots, so I started skipping ahead to find out what was happening to this character... It was driving me nuts. You know that you are reading a good book when you start to talk to the characters, and get all mad at them because you can see where every single little decision they are making is just sending them closer to distruction. I kept moaning outloud with each new twist in her plot. When I finally finished her plot line, I thought: "I'll get me a drink, and go back and finish all the others now". I looked at the clock and about had a heart attack. I had started reading at 8:30pm--when I finally stopped, it was 2:15--IN THE MORNING!!! I was shocked. I had no clue that it was that late. I was completely absorbed in my book! It didn't feel THAT late, or that I had been reading for almost 6 hours... Usually, I can't read that long without getting a headache--but it was different with this one. I HAD to find out what happened to this character. It was infuriating! I still am thinking about her-- that, my friends, is a sign of a good book. Now, I just need to go finish the rest of the book.
I have several other books that I have been reading. I have given up on one of them "Midwives"... It really bugs me the way he uses colons on every single page. He uses colons the way I use periods. It was nerve wracking-- I even started circling them, just to see how often he used them... I kept showing them to Hombre, and asking the "Editor" of the family why in Allah's name would he (the author) use them so much-- he didn't know. Which, I might add, bugged me even more, cause I think Hombre is pretty smart. So, if he was stumped, then it had to be wrong! Reasonable logic, I think!
Anyway, my stack of books keeps getting larger and larger, and my list keeps getting longer and longer. I have so many books to read, I will be entertained all winter long. Plus, there just happens to be more great books coming out every week. I really want to read the new Amy Tan book-Saving Fish From Drowning and the new Anita Shreve book-A wedding in December. There is also the book The Widow of the South, and Son of Witch (the sequel to Wicked). I have a notebook that I have been writing them all down in, and then crossing them off when I finish them... It just keeps getting longer and longer. I like that. I think that a well educated person will read... and read as much as they are able.
I have found the University that has the EXACT program that I am wanting to finish my degree in... I just have to figure out how in the heck I am going to pay for it. There isn't enough left over each month to cover $1,200 in tuition and books. I need to set up a time to go up to the financial aide office and see if there aren't some sort of grants/scholarships that I could get. I really, really, really want to finish. It would be a degree in Literature with an emphasis on 19th and 20th century authors. I would like to also have an emphasis on Children and Young Adult fiction. Then I would like to pursue a Masters Degree and then teach. Maybe at a Community College or something equivalent. I dunno. I wish the school fairy would just show up and say:"Anonymous Lady, You are all registered for school, and your tuition and books are all covered. Good luck!" Would'nt that be nice? I don't know where to even start. It seems so overwhelming, but, unfortunately there isn't going to be that magic little fairy. I hope that I can get this all figured out before I turn 50... HA!
Borrowing my favorite writer: Be well, do good work, and keep in touch!
