Breakfast Today

Thursday, July 08, 2010





Biscuits & Gravy 

I use the Pillsbury Frozen buttermilk biscuits and put them in to cook once I have started on the gravy.

I have the found that the trick to creating enough drippings for the gravy is to cook bacon before I cook the sausage, and reserve the bacon drippings for later.

Cook 1 pound of Jimmy Dean Regular Sausage on medium heat. Crumble while cooking. Trust me, this is easier.

Pour Bacon drippings into sausage drippings and then slowly reheat.

A good gravy has the ratio of 2 Tbsp flour to 2 Tbsp drippings to 1 cup milk. You need at least 4 Tbsp of drippings to make the gravy.

I cook the flour and drippings mixture for a little bit and slowly stir in the milk. Once it is thick and bubbly, I add in the sausage and simmer to marry the flavors. I add salt and pepper to taste-- usually more pepper than salt because we like our gravy spicy.  Serve over open faced hot biscuits and it is DIVINE!

*My Family LOVES this for dinner.


  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes