Random randomness and then some Tunes
Friday, July 30, 2010
"To avoid situations in which you might make mistakes may be the biggest mistake of all."
- Peter McWilliams, Life 101
Life is an interesting teacher, isn't it? Trying things and having those things not live up to our expectations teaches us more about ourselves and who we are than anything or anyone could.
I was really terrified when I was planning that silly conference I did. What if it was an epic failure? I was becoming paralyzed with the fear of failing that I almost quit. Like every day for about a month.
Then my wise little sister told me to stop and breathe (and quit being a giant pansy). The mere fact that I was trying something proved that I wasn't an epic failure. The only time you are an epic failure, she said, is when you don't even try. Taking the first step and trying moves you from being a failure to a success. Failure is simply not trying.
So what if things don't go the way you "scripted" them... you tried. That's success. People who love you and care about you don't care about "the end result" they care about you and the fact that you had the courage to try.
That pep-talked changed my life. I had been a pansy for years-- afraid of being that epic failure so I wouldn't put myself out there and try to do something . . . daring. I realized however that it takes courage to try and in the process of trying you get more courage. If you're going to do something, have the courage to fail big because you will already be a big failure if you don't even try.
*****
Speaking of failure: I am an epic failure at being the Tooth-fairy. Every single one of my children has had to call "central command" to complain about the fact that the Tooth-fairy isn't doing her job.
Thing 3 lost yet another tooth at the beginning of the week and I forgot every single night this week to pick it up and leave some cash. Until last night that is when I was tucking her into bed and she lifted up the pillow and said "Mom. My tooth is RIGHT. THERE. See? Do you think she'll come tonight?" I promptly replied "Central Command said she was on vacation this week, but they would send a substitute, so don't get upset with what she leaves."
That substitute woke up in a panic at 6:30am and rushed around trying to find something to leave. (a crumpled up dollar should work, right?)
Me as the tooth-fairy = epic fail. And, I'm totally OK with that.
*****
Last week I was so sick I figured the second-coming must be on it's way. I conquered death, and now I'm working on figuring out the secrets of the resurrection.
I'm on the mend. Slowly, but surely.
Let's keep our fingers and toes crossed that the kids don't get it... we've got Disneyland people. DISNEYLAND. And who wants to be sick for Disneyland?
*****
School starts in TWENTY-FIVE DAYS.
Not that I'm counting or anything.
Cause I'm totally not.
Only sort of.
*****
I am in need of a good mind-less read. I just finished something kind of heavy, and I want fluff people. FLUFF. Light on the sex but fluffnone the less nonetheless none-the-less. (how do you write that?)
Do you have any good suggestions?
*****
I'm hungry all the time. It's such a pain, really. I love to eat and preferably eat out. When I'm hungry, I immediately start thinking of places I could go eat. Like right now. I want a Kamikaze Burger and Bottom-less Fries from Red Robin. Yum.
Right now Red Robin (yum) is doing this thing where if you bring a bike you can have a free burger. I have two bikes I need to get rid of so does that mean I can have two burgers?
Inquiring minds want to know. Those minds are hun-ree.
*****
I do have one little confession to make regarding hamburger consumption. I could eat a hamburger for every stinking meal and never get tired of it. Ever. Even for Breakfast. I loves me some hamburger and fries.
My sisters tease me because when we go places I am more than willing to try new restaurants. As long as they have a burger on the menu. That's not to say that I won't try other foods, because I do. I LOVE with all my heart mind and soul Mexican food. But, I love burgers too. It's a torrid affair between burgers and Mexican food.
This week its Burgers and fries.
Two weeks ago it was Carne Asada Tacos. (twice in one day. Shut up.)
Which makes this next confession rather sad: apparently I am a total sinner when it comes to hamburger consumption because I have never eaten at In&Out Burger. Like Ever.
I am an In&Out Burger Virgin.
So tell me people if one were going to rectify being an In&Out Virgin Burger Eater, what would one order?
*****
That's it folks. I'm headed to Twin Falls this weekend. So if you see me, don't flip me off when I cut you off in traffic.
Catch ya on the flip side!
1. Skipping Stones - Amos Lee
2. If I Ask You Nicely - Gomez
3. Knock 'Em Out - Lily Allen
4. These Days - Ayo
5. No One Is To Blame (Acoustic) - Howard Jones *hello 1985. where have you been?*
6. River Song - Dennis Wilson
7. Laughing With A Mouth Full Of Blood - St. Vincent
8. All Summer Long - Kid Rock
9. Day Dreamer - Donavon Frankenreiter
10. Feels Like Home - Chantal Kreviazuk
Bonus: Daughter - Loudon
- Peter McWilliams, Life 101
Life is an interesting teacher, isn't it? Trying things and having those things not live up to our expectations teaches us more about ourselves and who we are than anything or anyone could.
I was really terrified when I was planning that silly conference I did. What if it was an epic failure? I was becoming paralyzed with the fear of failing that I almost quit. Like every day for about a month.
Then my wise little sister told me to stop and breathe (and quit being a giant pansy). The mere fact that I was trying something proved that I wasn't an epic failure. The only time you are an epic failure, she said, is when you don't even try. Taking the first step and trying moves you from being a failure to a success. Failure is simply not trying.
So what if things don't go the way you "scripted" them... you tried. That's success. People who love you and care about you don't care about "the end result" they care about you and the fact that you had the courage to try.
That pep-talked changed my life. I had been a pansy for years-- afraid of being that epic failure so I wouldn't put myself out there and try to do something . . . daring. I realized however that it takes courage to try and in the process of trying you get more courage. If you're going to do something, have the courage to fail big because you will already be a big failure if you don't even try.
*****
Speaking of failure: I am an epic failure at being the Tooth-fairy. Every single one of my children has had to call "central command" to complain about the fact that the Tooth-fairy isn't doing her job.
Thing 3 lost yet another tooth at the beginning of the week and I forgot every single night this week to pick it up and leave some cash. Until last night that is when I was tucking her into bed and she lifted up the pillow and said "Mom. My tooth is RIGHT. THERE. See? Do you think she'll come tonight?" I promptly replied "Central Command said she was on vacation this week, but they would send a substitute, so don't get upset with what she leaves."
That substitute woke up in a panic at 6:30am and rushed around trying to find something to leave. (a crumpled up dollar should work, right?)
Me as the tooth-fairy = epic fail. And, I'm totally OK with that.
*****
Last week I was so sick I figured the second-coming must be on it's way. I conquered death, and now I'm working on figuring out the secrets of the resurrection.
I'm on the mend. Slowly, but surely.
Let's keep our fingers and toes crossed that the kids don't get it... we've got Disneyland people. DISNEYLAND. And who wants to be sick for Disneyland?
*****
School starts in TWENTY-FIVE DAYS.
Not that I'm counting or anything.
Cause I'm totally not.
Only sort of.
*****
I am in need of a good mind-less read. I just finished something kind of heavy, and I want fluff people. FLUFF. Light on the sex but fluff
Do you have any good suggestions?
*****
I'm hungry all the time. It's such a pain, really. I love to eat and preferably eat out. When I'm hungry, I immediately start thinking of places I could go eat. Like right now. I want a Kamikaze Burger and Bottom-less Fries from Red Robin. Yum.
Right now Red Robin (yum) is doing this thing where if you bring a bike you can have a free burger. I have two bikes I need to get rid of so does that mean I can have two burgers?
Inquiring minds want to know. Those minds are hun-ree.
*****
I do have one little confession to make regarding hamburger consumption. I could eat a hamburger for every stinking meal and never get tired of it. Ever. Even for Breakfast. I loves me some hamburger and fries.
My sisters tease me because when we go places I am more than willing to try new restaurants. As long as they have a burger on the menu. That's not to say that I won't try other foods, because I do. I LOVE with all my heart mind and soul Mexican food. But, I love burgers too. It's a torrid affair between burgers and Mexican food.
This week its Burgers and fries.
Two weeks ago it was Carne Asada Tacos. (twice in one day. Shut up.)
Which makes this next confession rather sad: apparently I am a total sinner when it comes to hamburger consumption because I have never eaten at In&Out Burger. Like Ever.
I am an In&Out Burger Virgin.
So tell me people if one were going to rectify being an In&Out Virgin Burger Eater, what would one order?
*****
That's it folks. I'm headed to Twin Falls this weekend. So if you see me, don't flip me off when I cut you off in traffic.
Catch ya on the flip side!
1. Skipping Stones - Amos Lee
2. If I Ask You Nicely - Gomez
3. Knock 'Em Out - Lily Allen
4. These Days - Ayo
5. No One Is To Blame (Acoustic) - Howard Jones *hello 1985. where have you been?*
6. River Song - Dennis Wilson
7. Laughing With A Mouth Full Of Blood - St. Vincent
8. All Summer Long - Kid Rock
9. Day Dreamer - Donavon Frankenreiter
10. Feels Like Home - Chantal Kreviazuk
Bonus: Daughter - Loudon

