How To Choose an Orthodontist
Monday, November 15, 2010
Did you know that Orthodontics can cost anywhere from $1,800 to over $6,500 without insurance?
It’s true.
I know this because I have two teenagers (and myself) that need braces.
I asked all my neighbors who they went to for their Orthodontic work, and was planning on just using the same, local Orthodontist. I’m a sheep like that. However, my husband had different ideas. He insisted that I research Utah Orthodontists, and see what everyone is charging and find out why there were such differences in cost.
Being the obedient wife that I am *cough cough* I did just that. Honestly, I didn’t think there would be that big of difference in price, treatment or even in offices and I planned on still using the neighborhood Orthodontist.
I called over thirteen different Orthodontists in my area and I interviewed them over the phone. Then I made appointments with six different ones and took my children to visit them and go through the initial consults.
I was surprised on the second consult to see that they were charging WAY more than my first consult.
My first consult quoted me $1,800 for Orthodontic work (after my deductible) and the second Ortho was charging me $5,900 AFTER my deductible. When I questioned the first Ortho (yes I totally called him back) he said he really wasn’t an Orthodontist—or board certified-- but a Dentist that did Orthodontic work. Also, he didn’t include in the price the cost of the initial X-rays or the price of the follow-up care (retainers etc).
And, he recycled his materials.
Gross.
I had no idea that you could recycle Orthodontic Materials. It’s good to be green, however, some things are not meant to be recycled and braces are one of those things.
I was really surprised, while doing my research, at how every single Orthodontist not only had different fees, but different treatment plans and a different feeling in their office. Some of them made me feel like I was a burden because I was asking so many questions and some felt it necessary to talk down to me. I quickly crossed those off my list.
During all of the research to find the perfect Orthodontist for my family, I came up with some criteria that the Orthodontists had to meet.
10 THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN CHOOSING AN ORTHODONTIST:
1. Practice—How long has the Orthodontist been in practice? Has he moved a lot? The amount of time an Orthodontist (or any doctor for that matter) has been in one place speaks volumes to the type of practice they have.2. Schooling and Education—Where did he go to school? How long ago? He is board Certified and/or does he sit on any state boards or committees? What type of continuing Education does the Orthodontist participate in? Does he go to conferences to learn about new technology?
3. Money—What exactly do all the fee’s cover? Does it cover all the visits? The retainers? After care? Do they take insurance? Are there hidden fee’s? Do the fee’s cover all the x-rays and retainers? Will they give you a discount if you pay the entire balance up front (hello flex spending!)? Will they give you a discount if you have more than one child coming through their office?
4. Time Frame—This one is very important. What is the time frame that he expects to have you in braces? The technology is such now that the Orthodontist should be able to give you a good, solid time frame. I was surprised to see that treatment times varied from office to office—one said 2.5 years and another said 14months. Big Difference.
5. Referrals-- I asked for referrals from each office I interviewed over the phone. I wanted to see what people would say about the type of treatment they received from the Dr. AFTER it was all over. I also wanted to know what these patients didn’t like and then specifically what they loved about the Orthodontist.
6. Equipment—Are they up on the latest technology? What types of appliances and braces does the Orthodontist use? Specifically: IS IT RECYCLED MATERIALS? (because eww! Gross!)
7. Interaction—This one is deal maker or breaker for me. I want to know and see how the Orthodontist interacts with my children. I am the cash cow—my children are the ones that have to have the gadgets on their teeth. It is very important to me that the Orthodontist speaks WITH my children—not to my children THROUGH me.
8. Incentives—What kind of incentives did they use? Are there incentives for good grades? Being on time? Wearing their rubber bands? Did they have office contests? The ways the various offices got their office involved in the patients lives was important to me. Braces cost a lot of money, and you spend a lot of time with them… For me, having the experience for my children be pleasant was important. Good incentives means less fighting about wearing their rubber bands.
9. Technology—Not only was I interested in what kind of Orthodontic technology they were using, I was interested in the type of technology they used within their office. One office had all their new client forms online for me to fill out and then submit. I loved that. Another office was very antiquated and filled everything out with a number 2 pencil. And still another office would send me not only email appointment reminders, but text message reminders as well. LOVE! THAT!
10. Office Environment—How the staff and the Doctor interacted was important, but even more so, I watched how the staff treated me and my children. Again, braces cost a lot of money, so I felt like it was important that I never felt like a burden or that I was being talked down to.
Admittedly, I thought my husband was crazy for insisting that I research Orthodontists, the treatments available and the differences in cost; However, I am very glad that I did. I learned a lot about what is available, what to look for and what to avoid. I would strongly encourage you to not just go with whomever your neighbors have chosen, but to actually do some research. You may be surprised with what you find.
*This is a sponsored post

