The Return of the Bucket Filler
Sunday, November 21, 2010
Last year I did a daily feature on my blog called Bucket Filler. It started on another blog several years ago, and each month it would get tossed around to different bloggers. I did it for one month, and was hooked! I loved coming up with new things for us to do to help fill our buckets and so I tossed it on to someone else, but kept on doing it on my home front.
I felt good when I was daily thinking of the one good thing I could do for others—or myself.
I felt good when I would sit down to write the Bucket Fillers for the month. My creativity would soar as I would search for the perfect quote or photo to go with what I was asking to be done that day.
I stopped doing it when I got several complaints from people saying they didn’t like the feature.
Boring. Fluffy. Silly. Those were some of the comments that I heard about my feature. So, I quit.
Dumb me for letting others rule what I decided to do on my blog. What I have since realized is that while I put the Bucket Fillers out in the Universe with the hopes that it will uplift others, what really happens is that these Bucket Fillers impact me. I have missed the connection to myself that the Bucket Filler creates, and so I am bringing it back—with a vengeance.
I will recycle some of my favorite Bucket Fillers from last year and then starting on January 1 you can be guaranteed to see a new, original Bucket Filler every day here in Crazyland.
What is a Bucket Filler?
A full bucket (or your emotional well-being) gives us a positive outlook and renewed energy. Every drop in that bucket makes us stronger and more optimistic.But an empty bucket destroys our outlook, saps our energy, and undermines our will. That's why every time someone dips from our bucket, it hurts us.
So we face a choice every moment of every day: We can fill another persons bucket, or we can dip from them. It's an important choice- one that profoundly influences our relationships, productivity, health and happiness.
I am offering you a simple way to fill your bucket. Small and simple acts to fill not only yours, but those around you as well.
