Isn’t There A Scripture Somewhere About Not Judging?
Thursday, May 05, 2011
Thing 3 came home from school the other day and told me that a girl in her class said she wasn't allowed to play with her anymore.
I was shocked.
Who says that? And further, who tells their kids they “aren’t allowed to play with” another child?
I did a little digging and found something even more frustrating.
She said: “Well, she said she couldn’t play with me because I’m not Mormon and she isn’t allowed to play with kids who aren’t Mormon.”
I was now totally horrified.
Because first of all: Hello!! WE ARE TOTALLY MORMON. And secondly, Who does that?
My darling Thing 3 told this girl, “I am Mormon.” and this naughty little girl responded: “No you’re not Mormon. Your Mom drinks Coffee from 7-11. She brought her coffee every day to early morning choir. I know because my big sister saw her. Mormon’s don’t drink coffee so you’re NOT Mormon.”
Now I was just stunned into silence.
I don’t drink coffee people.
At. All.
I drink Hot Chocolate.
But, even if I did drink coffee, who tells their kids that they can’t play with my kid simply because their Mother drinks “coffee” (read: Hot Chocolate) ?
Do we really have to do the whole Scarlet Letter thing? Judging a person based on what you see, we have learned, is wrong! And seriously? Don’t tell me to “avoid the appearance of evil” either because then I wouldn’t be able to buy gas at the gas station because it sells beer. And I wouldn’t be able to buy groceries at the grocery store because it not only sells beer, but condoms AND cigarettes. And I must support those things and participate in those things if I go into that store. That’s how that logic plays out. I would never go into a BAR, but 7-11 hot chocolate? Come on!
I was drinking HOT COCO people. I even had the kids singing a song about HOT COCO and I would wave my HOT COCO cup around the room while I danced and led the music.
This whole scenario enraged me beyond belief because clearly, my family’s religious practices— or according to them lack there of—had been discussed AT LENGTH by another family and they deemed us “not worthy” to associate with. “You can be nice to her, but you cannot be friends with her or play with her.” was the message this little Eight Year Old child received Loud And Clear.
They judged ME. They judged me because I chose to drink Hot Chocolate in a 7-11 cup that “symbolizes coffee”. I didn’t have a choice to put it in a “this is a cup of hot coco cup” because really? That’s just plain stupid! Because of ME, these people decided my CHILD wasn’t worth getting to know or to even play with at recess simply because her Mom brought a 7-11 cup of hot chocolate to early morning choir.
Isn’t there a scripture somewhere that says “Judge not that ye be not judged?”
A person’s differences do not make them a person to avoid getting to know. Fear breads ignorance. Clearly these people fear anything different from them and how sad for them that they have passed that fear and total ignorance onto their daughters.
They are the ones missing out because Thing 3? She’s a pretty awesome kid and one heck of a loyal friend.
Your loss. My gain.
Jerks.
