Random Randomness and Then Some Tunes
Friday, May 20, 2011
"The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter." -- Mark Twain
It has been raining cats and dogs for the last five days. It stops for about seven minutes once a day, but then promptly starts back up. I have a bucket in the backyard that has been gathering the rain. The kids and I wanted to see how much rain has actually fallen at our house. The sad thing is that I can't find the freaking measuring tape to tell you. However, we did stick a Pen into the bucket, and it was covered with water to the middle of the pen. So, how ever many inches that is- is how many inches have fallen here in Crazyland.
Honestly? I'm sort of digging it.
It thummers and lippenings (as Moxie calls it) all night long and it is a pleasant way to sleep. I have an app on my phone that I can listen to that simulates those sounds, and when I sleep to that noise, I sleep like a baby. I love hearing the sound of rain.
*****
I went and saw Wicked last weekend, and it was just as wonderful as I remembered it to be. I'd actually never seen it before (except in 10 minute increments on youtube) but the kids and I have the music memorized and we love to sing and dance around the kitchen acting it out in our own ways.
I think that is some of my favorite memories of things the kids and I have done together. Singing and dancing in the kitchen to various soundtracks. We've got actions and everything. Nerdy? Why yes, thank you.
The other one we love to sing and dance to is Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor. Their Powder Milk Biscuit song sends us into spontaneous bouts of Four Square Dancing. Skipping and hopping around the kitchen, locked in arms. Those are good memories.
*****
I have a very deep affinity and weakness for Broadway music. If I need to sing (which I often do to release stress) I sign Broadway music. It has healing powers to it, and I can feel my soul reparing as I belt out silly Broadway tunes.
This past weekend as I sat watching Wicked, I felt the only regret that I have in my life which is this: I didn't pursue my music. I have a pretty good singing voice and I can act about as good as Kristen Chenoweth, too. For reals. I had awesome stage presence. Just ask Braden. He'll tell you. We were on stage together on more than one occasion.
When I was younger, I always pictured myself standing there on the big stage, hitting those big notes and punctuating them with my awesome stage presence. My drama teacher used to tell us that it didn't matter if you could dance, just pick a high mark, and low mark and hit like you never hit anything and you will be the star of the stage. When I would do that it felt awesome!
Watching those people on stage, I could feel the music and I instinctively knew exactly when they would hit their "marks" It's an instinct and I was energized to realize I still had it.
I love to sing and I love to be on stage even more. Jefe thinks that is entirely bizarre and weird. I feed off it. The more people watching me, and listening to me the more energized I get. Being able to make people laugh is a drug for me. I love to laugh and I love to make people laugh.
Once it starts I need it like I need air.
I watch the videos of the Broadway shows and I see myself being the one singing up there on stage. I find it so therapeutic to belt out a tune or two. And then, I can move on with my day.
My dream? To sing on the big stage again. Just once. So my kids and husband can see that I'm not entirely delusional. Only mostly.
Watch this video with the 4 Valjeans from Les Misérables singing. If the hair on the back of your neck doesn't stand up, you are dead. And that last key change? Oh. My. Ovaries.
*****
Have a lovely weekend. My play list today is from my Broadway play list. The Tony's are coming up and I'm getting excited. Except for the fact that the stupid book of mormon musical got nominated for 14 Tony's. Which then makes me think I should boycott the Tony's so I don't have to witness it. I will admit that I have listened to the music-- and frankly? It sort of sucks.
Anyway. It's still raining here, and I'm going to spend the weekend trying to stay dry.
Catch ya on the flip side.
1. I'm Not That Girl - Wicked
2. Seasons of Love - Rent
3. That's How You Know - Enchanted (yes. its not a musical, per say... but its still awesome!)
4. Take A Chance On Me - Mama Mia
5. Someone Like You - Jekyll & Hyde
6. Waitin' for the Light to Shine - Big River
7. There Once Was A Man - Pajama Game
8. The Human Heart - Once On This Island
9. Anything Goes - Anything Goes
10. Who Loves You - Jersey Boys
Bonus: Bring Him Home - Les Miserables
