Soundtrack Sunday - Father's Day Edition
Sunday, June 20, 2010
*Soundtrack Sunday is best enjoyed while listening to the music*
My Dad loves to Sail. When he was younger, he had a sailboat that my mom and he would take out on the lake and sail in. He often would talk about the freedom he felt as he was sailing. As a child, I can remember watching the America's Cup with him and actually getting really excited! (about a sail boat race?) My Dad
always rooted for the boat from the land of Oz. He loves Oz just as much as he loves Sailing.
I remember when this song came out, my mom had the lyrics of this song done in calligraphy for him and framed so he could hang them in his office. It was his very favorite song and now as an adult, I understand why. The lyrics are beautiful.
I can remember, as a child, sailing in "other peoples boats" with my Dad. Why other people's boats if he had his own boat? Well. After I was born, he sold his boat. The story goes, if I remember right, that I wouldn't wear my life jacket. He didn't want risk my life ( i have a rather huge tendency to be a klutz) so my Dad sold his boat.
My Dad.
He has the most Integrity of anyone I know. I have never heard him say an unkind thing about anyone. He is a peacemaker, and does all that he can to maintain peace in a family full of hormonal women. He is honest. He serves anyone willingly. He supported not only me on a mission for our church, but another boy in our church congregation that could not afford to otherwise go.
He loves The Lord. Christ is first and foremost in his life. I have watched him and learned what a true Christian is. He knows the scriptures better than anyone, and because of this knowledge, he is very kind. He is a very good listener, and is always able to bring about a spiritual message when he listens. But not only that, he listens without judgment. That, my friends, is rare gift.
He has such a fun sense of humor and is a giant tease. Often times, when me or my sisters would be having a "fit" over something, my father would be there, teasing us. Laughter is a huge part of my memories of my Dad. His laughter is contagious! His teasing and laughing with us diffused many a difficult situation.
To say that I am a Daddy's girl is putting it mildly.
Oh how I love my Father!
I worked for many years in the same building as my Father. When I lived at home, we would ride to work together and often times I would pass up lunch with the girls so that I could hang out with my Dad. After I got married and Jefe and I would leave after a Sunday visit, I would cry all the way home. All thirty miles of it. Jefe felt terrible. He didn't understand why I was crying. I mean, I would see him the next day at work, so why the tears?
Because I'm a Daddy's Girl.
When I moved 1500 miles away, I was the most upset because I saw my Dad cry. I found out later that he followed us for quite a while up the canyon until my Mom made him turn around and go home. That sort of broke my heart.
I just love my Dad. He is an amazing man who has taught me about life, the world and how to BE. He has been my sounding board, my muse, my guide, my biggest cheerleader, and my friend.
So, today's Soundtrack Sunday is dedicated to my Father.
He may have given up his "Sailing Career", but my life has benefited from this act.
He has been the wind that has helped me to sail.
From being there when my first boyfriend broke my heart with a dozen roses in hand, to celebrating with me on landing my first "real job", to kissing the heads of my new born babies-- He has been that "wind" in my life gently pushing me in the right direction.
Without his presence and guidance, I wonder what I would have become.
Thank you Dad. I love you.
*pulled from the archives - originally posted 6/08*

