Favorite Apps Downloaded In 2010

Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Last Christmas Jefe got me an iPhone and it's practically glued to my hand. I don't go anywhere without it now, and it is by far the best present I have ever gotten. Period.

Sometimes Jefe falls asleep to the soft florescent glow of my iPhone as I'm surfing the App store trying to find the latest greatest Apps to download. I know that I haven't even scratched the surface of the App's out there-- seeing how I'm still an iPhone newbie-- but here are my favorites from this past year.

Leave me a comment with your favorite Apps!

Listed in no particular order:

1. Pandora - Every music loving person needs to have Pandora. You type in an artist or song you like and then Pandora creates radio stations with similar songs/artists. I have a very eclectic station list and I use that
App every single day. I wish there was a way to stream Pandora in my car.

2. White Noise - I have a difficult time sleeping and this App helps me fall asleep and stay asleep.  You can pick the type of noise you fall asleep to-- whether it be actual white noise, airplane noise, crickets, rain or the ocean. It is also an awesome App to use when Jefe gets to snoring. I can drown him out and sleep like a log.

3. Facebook - Do I need to say more about that? It comes in real handy when I'm standing in long lines and see crazies.  I can take pictures as proof that I don't make up all the crap I see at Wal-mart.

4.  Hootsuite - It's a twitter App that lets you schedule out tweets AND Facebook status updates. Truthfully,  I wouldn't use anything else! People will think you are updating your profiles like crazy when really your sitting in your cozy bed reading a stupid Vampire book.

5. Hipstamatic - This is probably my newest favorite! You take pictures with this App and it makes them look vintage. I'm a complete sucker for vintage and these are outstanding! My kids and I spent over an hour one day taking pictures of completely random things and posting the photos to our Tumblr accounts.

6. Tumblr - I love this one. It's a fantastic way to save or share a photo, a quote or even a simple blog post. I have my blog imported to Tumblr which then is imported to my Facebook page. It's just one more way for me to look like I'm in 27 different places when really I'm reading a stupid Vampire book.

7. Words with Friends - This App is just a fun game that you can play with your friends! It's basically scrabble on your phone. I have a couple of people (including my kids) that I play regularly with and I am addicted to trying to figure out new words. It's completely worth paying the .99 cents to get the app without ads.

8. Netflix - I love this App for many reasons. First, when I have somewhere I have to go, and there isn't a babysitter for Moxie I can plug her into a Netflix Dora movie and she will happily sit there and watch the shows. I also love it because when I'm needing a break, I can plug into an episode of 30 Rock or The Office or Community and feel myself unwind. I will never watch TV any other way, other than streaming it through Netflix. Netflix = ZERO commercials. AND did you know that Netflix accounts for 20% of all Internet traffic after 5pm. True Story.

9. Rhapsody - I use Rhapsody on my computer all the time and totally love it. It's an awesome way to make play lists and I don't have to pay for every friggin' song I download. I pay $14.95 a month and can download all the tunes I want to my computer, iPhone and the kids mp3 players.

10. Red Laser - This App is the coolest shopping App around. It saved my cookie multiple times this past Christmas and I can't imagine shopping without it. You open the App and then take a picture of the bar-code for the item you're considering buying. It will then search around you and online for the best deal. I did this all the time and then had Wal-mart price match the cheapest price I found. The only bad thing is that Wal-mart wouldn't price match their own online prices. Dumb.

11. Drop Box - I really love this when I'm working. I work on so many projects that it's a pain when I need to access the documents and they're on my computer at home. I can save my documents to drop box and then access them from any of my computers or my phone. It's also really great when you are collaborating with people and have to share images or documents. You download all your photos or images to the drop box and then you all can access them. Saves TONS of time and energy sending emails.

12. Lose It - This App single handedly helped me lose 40 lbs this last year. I downloaded it last Christmas Day and put in how much weight I wanted to lose by May 27th. I had to HONESTLY put in the amount of exercise I did, and then the types of food I was eating. Then the app will tell you how many calories you can eat to get to that weight loss goal. It only took about 3 times of me getting crappy fast food and seeing my entire days worth of calories go out the window for me to quit fast food.  I also realized how many things burn calories and started really keeping track of what I ate, and the exercise I did. I have 15 more pounds to lose and then I will have hit my goal.

13. Angry Birds - Only the most downloaded App around. And seriously? It's freaking fun to play!

14. Evernote - This App is a lot like Drop Box, only it can do a lot more things. I like the fact that I can take screen shots of things and send them to myself. I also use this program on my little Netbook that doesn't have Word Processing of any kind. I can take notes, and then access those notes from any computer that has Evernote.

15. Tip Calculator -  I eat out a lot so this App has really come in handy. Particularly when I don't feel like using my math skills from 8th grade. I can put in how much the bill is, how good the service was (10%, 20%) and then if I am splitting the bill. The calculator will then figure out how much the tip is, and if I'm splitting the bill, how much everyone's portion is. AWESOME!

16. GPS Drive -  I used the free version for a while and then upgraded to the .99 cent one. Completely worth it. I have a very good sense of direction, so this app is awesome in that I can put in an address and then I can put the phone on speaker and it will tell me where to turn. I really like this app-- especially when I'm in an area that I don't know very well. I actually used this in Anaheim this summer, and it was dreamy!

17. Instagram - This is another really fun Photography App that takes different types of photos and lets you share them with all your social media pals. Photography is sort of my thing, so this app rocks my world.

18. CNN - Self Explanatory. I get my news from this app. I think everyone should have this one because then you can help yourself not be stupid and know what is going on in the world around you. There is no excuse for not knowing what is going on around you-- even if you don't watch TV (like me) you can read the news on your phone or computer. Be informed people. (yes that's a pet peeve of mine)

19. Paypal - EVERYONE needs a Paypal account. I don't know how you buy anything online without a Paypal account! With the business I run I have money coming and going quite a bit. This is a great app for me to show me when I get money and to keep a current balance.  Who doesn't like money? I can even bump phones with another App user and transfer funds that way. SLICK!

20. Shazam - Have you ever been listening to a song on the radio and wished you knew who the artist was or what the name of the song was? This app will record a snippet of the song and then tell you what the name and artist is within 30 seconds. It also gives you links to download the song from itunes. I freakin' love this app!

21. NPR - I am an NPR junkie and love this app. I have it customized and can listen to NPR stations all over the country. I also get the NPR Music App as well as follow all my favorite NPR shows. There is also a This American Life App and I have that one too. Ira Glass?! Yes please.

22. LDS Library - I have multiple apps in this category. They were all free and from the churches site. I have all the scriptures, church manuals and song books in several different apps. It's super nice for church because I don't have to take a giant bag-- just my phone and I can pull up the RS manual and my scriptures.

23. Goodreads - I'm a huge reader and this app helps me keep track of the books I want to read. There is nothing more frustrating than going to the store and not remembering the names of all the books I want to read. This App helps me keep track of those books as well as see what my friends have to say about them.

24. Flickr - I use flickr all the time for my photos and was thrilled when I could take pictures with my iPhone and then upload them to flickr for storage. I love that I can access ALL of the photos I've taken with my flickr app.

25. Dog Whistler - This app is very useful when I want to bother my children. It's the same concept as the mosquito ring tone and it cracks me up. I can hear the tones too, but it doesn't bother me the way it does my kids. My dog usually comes running to see what I'm doing and then she runs and hides. I like to see how high of a frequency I can go with my kids still being able to hear it. DRIVES THEM CRAZY! And frankly, that is oh so fun!

Honorable Mention: 
Weather Channel
Allrecipes Dinner Spinner
KSL News
What the Font
Solitaire


  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes