Feasting on Asphalt

Thursday, April 03, 2008

I got an email today from NPR. (cause I am a complete NPR junkie! My all time favorite line from a movie is: "I have actually listened to so much NPR that I actually DO think I have considered all things!") It was telling me about the new books they have available, and the stories/interviews they are going to be running. I was elated when I noticed that my favorite food network show had a cookbook/travel book out...
There is no better book to read than a cookbook/travel book.
Really.
I swear.
OK.
There are others.
But, I am still very excited about this book. I LOVE this show, Feasting On Asphalt! (you can rent/buy this show... just an FYI...)
Alton Brown is hilarious, and a complete genius when it comes to food. I have said it over a million times that my dream vacation is just jumping in the car and driving along all the rural roads in America... just to see how everyone lives, and of course EATS. That is fascinating to me. We used to take road trips like that ALL THE TIME when we lived in the Midwest... but it has been severely lacking since we moved back here. Mostly, I suspect, because we already know where all the roads lead us. Its more fun to explore when you have no idea where the road goes!
Anyway.
I am thrilled about this book! I SO want to get it! Just because this show is such a riot to watch... and the food. Oh the food! I have such an unhealthy relationship with food. I love to eat... and eating out is oh! so much better than eating at home! And, I really subscribe to Alton Brown's theory that good food comes from dives. And further, that we are loosing our American Culinary culture with all the "big box" food chains. The dives are where our food culture comes from. How sad to loose that.
In season 2, they were in Illinois somewhere, and were talking about how this was "the best burger they had ever had". Holy cow! My heart jumped into my throat, because, if you know me... I have a serious love affair with good burgers and fries. I was dying that I had missed this epicurious masterpiece! (yes. I know Jefe that epicurious is not a "real" word...but look HERE . It is a REAL website.)
Anyway.
I'm stoked about this book... and I SO hope there is a Season 3 of Feasting!

ps. There is a Season 3, but instead of BMW Motorcycles, they will be on catamarans... its a Feasting On Waves... cruising the Caribbean in search of good food.
Yum!


  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes