Thing 1

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Thing 1 is almost 13. You remember that age right? I do. It was rough. She is trying her hardest to exert control of herself, to find herself... This excites me, and frightens me all at the same time!

We have sort of been at odds lately... the eye rolling has begun with full force. And the sighing... oh the sighing. Its infuriating. And, I would like to smack the person that invented the word "WHATEVER". Imagine with me, if you will, all three of these rolled into one... sighing, rolling eyes and whatEVer!. Doesn't that sound lovely?? I'm not complaining (yes I am), it's just been difficult to deal with. I know this is teenage-dom at its best... but still.

I figured she would be thrilled to be off to girls camp this week without any sort of parental unit near by. She was all packed by Saturday afternoon. She was ready to go yesterday by 9:00am... she even cleaned her room-- with some gentle prodding from Jefe. (It looks better than it has in a long time!) She and I went out to lunch before her departure, and had a lovely time. I was a little nervous for her. But, I figured it was just because I am a helicopter parent--- who is trying to reform! I went with her last year as her leader. This year, I have a new baby, and so I decided to stay home (the young women, much to my delight were quite vocal about me not coming. that made me feel good).

As we were getting her remaining supplies ready on Sunday, I was quite weepy. I was going to miss my dear daughter... my friend. She has been my constant companion since she was born. I had to write her a letter to be read during her spiritual time, and I had a hard time writing it without crying. She is a beautiful daughter of God, and I feel blessed to call her my daughter. I know that this age-- teenage--- is typically full of... what is the word I am looking for? Disgust for parents? Embarrassment because of parents/siblings? Rage because of the lack of freedom? Maybe a little of all those words. I want her to understand her divine worth... but to translate that into a letter is difficult. I knew I would miss her, but figured she would relish the time away from her annoying family.

Imagine my surprise when Thing1 turned to me before we got to her pickup spot and said "Mom, I'm nervous to go to camp!" I was shocked. She had been so excited. When I asked her why... she said "Because I'm going alone... and I'm going to miss you." She gave me a giant hug and kiss... in front of all her friends!!

Ahhhh.
She does like us.
Even though she likes to pretend she doesn't.

ps. I do miss her. And its going to be cold tonight for her. Poor girl!


  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes