Me and U2
Thursday, December 09, 2010
Then Jefe got in his wreck and was in surgery on the day the concert should have happened.
Which actually worked out good for me because U2 was accommodating enough to reschedule the concert.
Something about Bono and back surgery.
Whatever.
They just were making sure I could attend the event.
They love me like that. Or so I imagine in my head.
I was thinking about the concert a while back and realized I hadn’t seen my tickets in a while. So, I started searching.
And searching.
AND SEARCHING.
People.
I have lost my U2 tickets!
I actually cried.
Buckets.
I am a 40 year old grown woman, and I was sitting on the couch crying like a 15 year old love struck teenager. I was yelling at everyone that came in to comfort me. I may have actually accused of Jefe of throwing them away because he was jealous of my love for Bono.
(I know. Can you say PSYCHO?)
(I’m Sorry Jefe)
It was pathetic really.
The thing is U2 is my favorite band of all time. Like ever. I have every single album—actual CD’s and now mp3’s —that have ever been made! Including all the B sides and hard to get, rare Live Albums from concerts and crap.
Every single, major moment in my life is punctuated with songs from U2. I can tell you where I was the first time I heard pretty much every single song. And, they are like a fine wine—they just get better with age.
Not that I know anything about wine and it getting better with age but whatever, you know what I mean.
Did you make out with him?!!
Serious.
I’m sick. I know.
I wanted to live vicariously through her having kissed Bono.
She laughed and said something to the effect of I knew you would ask me that, and I just got so flustered! I felt like I was seventeen again and we were sitting in my car listening to our dream boat swoon to us.
I can’t even imagine! Bono put his arm around her!
To her credit, she did tried to make me feel all sorts of better by telling me that he’s actually really short.
{face palm}
I woke up from an awesome dream tonight of me being at a U2 concert with my family and us dancing like wild Gypsies. Then I remembered with a crushing blow that I have lost my tickets. I actually got up out of bed to come and check if they had any seats at all open—I am willing to sit on a flag pole at this point—but all they had was a $599 VIP package.
As if.
I tried not to shriek too loudly and wake up the entire house—it is 3:30am. So instead I pulled up my favorite U2 songs to listen to and I may have cried. Again.
Sometimes, music brings me to tears. It has only happened a handful of times. But when it has, it has been memorable and powerful.
The first time I remember it happening was when I heard Bono sing Live during his sound check at the University of Utah concert in 1996. I was sitting at the stoplight at Guardsman's Way and Bono started an acoustic version of "With or Without You" that could be heard everywhere.
I promptly burst into tears.
Jefe looked at me like I was on drugs and rolled his eyes. He may have muttered something about how this was going to be the longest night of his life.
Whatever.
(Oprah was #2 and I’ve crossed that off, too!)
(I still get a little emotional when I hear Bono live... and I still want to marry him.)
I had really wanted to take Thing 1 to the concert with me. (shh don’t tell her.) It would have been her first concert and what a better way to start your concert career than by attending U2?!
She is as big of a U2 fan as I am and it actually makes my heart swell with pride. Particularly when I hear her schooling her friends on the awesomeness that is U2. She is a U2 Evangelizing Convert—and is always as flabbergasted with how many teens her age have no idea who Bono is or the amazing sexiness that is his voice.
So, let’s all feel sorry for Motherboard and her lost U2 tickets. Heave a heavy sigh of sorrow with me while we watch my two most favorite videos of them. You have to watch/listen to them back to back to get the full magnitude of what is the awesomeness of U2.
Anyone know a guy who knows a guy who can sneak me into the concert?
I’ll drive to Katmandu if it means I can see them live again.
