The Catch Phrase of the Year

Wednesday, January 27, 2010


My bank is closing. It's not the bank where the paycheck goes, but I still view it as MY bank. The bank I have banked at personally for as long as I have been old enough to have an account.

MY Bank. They failed. And, they failed BIG.

I sort of forgot about it until I drove by and saw all the State Troopers parked out front and the mass amounts of people "storming the fortress". It was a little disconcerting, to say the least.

I pushed the thoughts of my bank to the back of my mind, because I had more important things I was worrying about. Until today.

Today was the day I needed to go and take care of my business. The cars weren't parked on the street and the Police presence was gone. So today became the day that I said goodbye to my bank.

I feel rather silly admitting that I got a little emotional when I walked into the bank and the Bank President opened the door for me, welcoming me to his fine institution.

I felt a little emotional as the teller pulled my money out of my accounts. Clearly He was upset. I asked how he was and with emotion in his voice, he said "this has been the most terrible week ever. I don't know what we are going to do."

And, I became more emotional.

I heard a woman come into the Bank, greeted by the Bank President, and she was crying. She had banked at that bank since she was child, she said. She was in her 60's now.

This bank has been a major part of my life. I got my first car loan from that bank.

I got my first checking account from that bank.

I got my first debit card from that bank.

It was a major part of MY life and I know that it is silly to be emotional over a bank closing, but I am. Or was.

The atmosphere inside the bank was depressing and sad. The employees were clearly shaken and upset. All I could think about was their poor families. What will they do now? How will they make it? Where will they find work?

I have noticed a phrase that has become a catch phrase of sorts "these hard economic times" Everyone uses it. Stores use it to lure you in with "deals". "In these hard economic times you should shop here!"

Jefe has a fantastic job, and we have been blessed beyond measure. However, others have not been so lucky and the catch phrase of the year has become their reality.

Hard economic times indeed.

As I walked out of the bank, the Bank President again opened the door for me, shook my hand and thanked me for doing business with this bank. Our bank.

They failed, and they failed big. But, they were holding their heads high with dignity. And really? That's all anyone can do.

**Check out this site for some great pod-casts on this subject. It's Ira Glass, people. For no other reason, you should listen because of Ira. **


  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes