Random randomness and them some tunes

Friday, January 22, 2010

Failure is not the worst thing in the world. The very worst is not to try. - Anonymous

I have that quote tattooed on my forehead so I'll see it whenever I look into the mirror. The hard part is reading it backwards. I didn't take that into account when I had it blazed into my skull.

I really do recite it to myself every. single. day. I think the biggest thing stopping people from achieving success is not the coming up with the idea, but the fear that the idea will flop and people will mock and scorn them. Rather than risk looking like a total doofus, they just don't try. That's easier, but in reality you've already failed if you take the road.

I love the line from the movie Elizabethtown where Claire tells Drew "You wanna be really great? Then have the courage to fail big and stick around. Make them wonder why you're still smiling."

What's the worst thing that could happen if you try something and it fails? It fails. That's it. It fails. People won't stop loving you. It takes courage to try and people admire that.

*****
Moxie has learned how to say high five, only it comes out "Hi-Fi" . After the Hi-Fi, she then insists on "dones". Which took me forever to figure out she was meaning "bones" (or knuckles). Thank you endless teenagers for teaching my 22 month old how to do "bones".

She has had a complete word explosion lately and while it's exciting and fun, it makes me sad. I'm sort of NOT OK with this baby being my last baby.

*****

I thought of another thing that drives me nuts while I was sitting in the McDonald's drive through this morning (don't judge!): People that take too long to order at the drive thru window. Srsly people. The menu hasn't changed since you were there yesterday. Why do you have to read THE ENTIRE BOARD before you say "I guess I'll have the extra large diet coke and a sausage mcmuffin." Really? I thought you were ordering for a herd because of how long it took you to order.

I also love/hate that they leave your order up on the little screen in the drive through. That way the people who come along behind you have the tools to mock you more effectively.

*****
I adore quarters. ADORE THEM. I get all giddy inside when I see them laying around my house. I scoop them up and laugh manically "They're mine! All mine!"

*Muwah-ha ha ha ha ha ha ha*

I'm not sure why I have such a love for quarters, but sometimes I think it might be a little unhealthy. For example, when I get gasoline? I have to make sure that the amount ends either on a 25, 50, 75 or 00. It really chaps my hide when I work to get it to the nearest multiple of 25 only to have it go to 26, or 51, 76 or 01.

Crap!

When that happens, I have to hope that pushing it to the next multiple won't result in gas spilling all over my shoes.

Which happens. A lot.

*****
Typically by this time in the phase of winter, I am beside myself with gloom and doom. I really dislike all the gray and cold and gray.

This year hasn't been too bad (knock on wood). I haven't felt like screaming at the heavens or looking for property in Phoenix this year.

That's a good sign.

While I get that we need the snow, Estelle-the crazy lady who lives in my brain-- thanks the gloom and doom Gods for skipping me this year.

*****
When my bonus track came on today, I just couldn't help but doing a little jig in my big ole chair. I am a closet disco junkie. It's true. I totally DIG it. Whenever I hear Disco, it makes me want to shake my bon-bon.

I was in a sandwich shop yesterday with Thing 1 and Moxie and we were waiting for our turn to order, when this song came one. Moxie gasped, pointed to the ceiling and then started shaking her booty. So you know what I did? I danced with her too. Right there in the middle of the sandwich shop.

Thing 1 was DYING.

But you know what? Life is too short to NOT dance through it. Even if the need to dance hits you in the middle of a sandwich shop.

*****

Have a great weekend peeps! Make sure you register for CBC10. Th0se tickets are going faster than I had thought they would. You wouldn't want to miss out on the party of the century. You should SEE the entertainment we have lined up! Get your tickets, before you can't. You'll feel all bad and weepy when you see everyone posting all their pictures from CBC10, and you missed out!

There are several of you who have emailed me and said "I can't go to stuff like this. I would have to go all alone and that makes me feel dorky. We all know that women travel in packs, and I wouldn't have a pack. I really WANT to come, but pack-less makes me scared." (or something to that effect).

Here's the deal. You can be in MY pack. I don't have a pack, so lets make the Anti-pack and hang together, shall we?

*****
Catch ya on the Flip side!

1. Jails & Bombs - Amos Lee
2. Free Of Me - Joshua Radin
3. All At Once - Jack Johnson
4. Hold You In My Arms - Ray LaMontagne
5. Turn Me On - Norah Jones
6. At This Point In My Life - Tracy Chapman
7. How Am I To Be - The Watson Twins
8. You May Know Him - Cat Power
9. I've Been Let Down - Mazzy Star
10. War Is Kind - Jakob Dylan

Bonus: Best Of My Love - The Emotions


  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes