Dreams and Robbers

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The first thing you are taught when you are working with the public and money is "If you get robbed, give them everything they ask for. Don't panic. Don't be a hero. Remember everything."

That last part is easier said than done in the heat of the moment.

Unless you dreamed about it happening several weeks earlier. And then you remember everything with stunning clarity.

 I had a dream that I was robbed at work. The dream was so real and vivid that when I woke up, I was in a total state of panic. My heart was thumping right out of my chest and my fight or flight instinct had kicked into high gear. I could remember every single thing that happened in the dream. The look on the mans face as he stormed through the doors, the tan pants and plain white wife-beater tank that he was wearing. He had a go-tee and walked with aggression.

In my dream I was absolutely terrified and I woke up with those same feelings pumping through my veins.

The next night at work, my friend came to me and said she'd had a dream about both last night. We were closing and a group of men tried to rob us. 

I was stunned.

I sat riveted to every last word as she described in great detail the same type of dream that I'd had the night before. The man in her dream was dressed the same, but he had a posse of dudes with him. And hers ended a tad more violently than mine -- We got shot as they ran from the store.

We laughed it all off, but it was clear that we were both a little creeped out by the fact that we had  both had similar dreams at the same time. Granted, minor details were different, but the subject was the same: We were robbed while we were working, right as the store closed.

For the next few nights, when we worked together we would joke about how we wondered if this was going to be the night all hell broke loose at Schmoles. We had talked through the dream scenarios several times, and discussed what we had done wrong in our dreams and what we "should have done" instead. Mostly we did joking with each other and to figure out how we could avoid being shot, which was what happened in my friends dream.

Several weeks after the dream's had occured (and we had stopped talking about them) I was closing the registers. The store was closed, but the doors hadn't been locked yet. I had the register open and was facing the window, counting it down when I heard the door open.

I glanced up and instantly knew what was happening.

A man with a go-tee dressed in tan pants and a white wife beater tank top was storming aggressively toward me. I pushed the register closed and stared at him.

I felt my heart sink and a lump form in my throat. I didn't just feel fear, I felt terror and it was pulsing through every inch of my body.

He snarled "You open?" as he aggressively approached me.

I was shaking because this was the point where he pulled the gun and demanded all of our money. If my friends dream scenario was followed, I would turn around and his posse would be behind me and someone was getting shot.

I looked him in the eye and slightly shook my head as I said "No. We're closed."

Then something different happened. The man deviated from both the dreams we'd had.

He stopped dead in his tracks.

He looked at me. Then past me, Then at me again.

Then he turned around and left the store.

I sat there shaking, trying to get control. My friend who'd had the dream about us was working that night with me.

In her dream it was a Wednesday night.

This was a Wednesday night.

Coincidence?

Maybe.

I honestly don't know what to make of it.

Was God warning us of something that might have happened?

Or was it all just a spooky coincidence? 

I really don't know.

All I know is that it felt like something. And it felt like when he looked at me, he saw me something and that something changed his mind... changed him.

Whatever it was that happened -- a warning, or a coincidence  -- I'm glad it turned out differently than both of our dreams. There are lessons to be learned from this, and I am sure tons of symbolism. The biggest being situations and circumstances can and are re-written instantaneously all the time. And when they are? Maybe its because God prompted a different choice to be made.


  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes

5 monkeys jumping on the bed:

  1. seashmore said...

    I'm glad that whatever he saw changed his mind. And that your dreams didn't come true.

    Good or bad, it always feels a little weird when you dream about things before they happen.

  2. 2busy said...

    Maybe there was an angel protecting you...over your shoulder. He didn't want to mess with THAT. Wow! That is still quite the story.

  3. Chelsey said...

    Wow! I think I would've peed my pants the minute the guy walked through the doors. I'm glad everything turned out okay!

  4. Miranda said...

    OMG...your story was riveting. Holy cow!! I truly believe he saw something in you and it changed his direction. dream = coincidence = no way in helk--it was a warning for you to be prepared.

    glad you're safe.

  5. tracystreehouse said...

    ACK! and you didn't call me?? i know what happened, the spirit you surround yourself with scared him. even idiots don't wanna mess with things of the spirit. so glad you didn't get shot my friend. i would miss you terribly.