Random Randomness and Then Some Tunes

Saturday, February 22, 2014


 Hello my pretties. It's been a while since I checked in and had a little chat with all y'all. I don't know about you, but I miss you. I find writing to be so cathartic and cleansing. There's just something about putting words to paper that soothes and cleanses my soul.

Remember how I used to dump my random thoughts into this blog and hit you with some good tunes at the end? Well, settle in, because I've been musing and I've also got some great tunes for you.

***

I read a wonderful article that has come out in response to all the hullabaloo about this blog post and the evils of Frozen. In short, it says everything I got out of the movie, only better.

 Go give it a read and see if it doesn't leave you feeling uplifted and motivated to be a little better, forgive a little more and what you can't handle, give to The Master so it can be His problem to sort out.  Because at the end of the day, that's what doing all that we can do and then handing the rest to Jesus and saying "I can't deal with it any more, this has to be your problem" is all about. That's what we were sent her to learn how to do.

That's what the Atonement is all about, my friends.

Giving away our junk to the One who willing said "I will carry it for you, you just have to let me." It takes a conscience effort to "let it go" and give it to the One who accepted the assignment to carry our burdens for us. We don't have to carry our junk around, using it to protect us from all the ways people can (and will) hurt us. It's not only unhealthy, its essentially rejecting what Christ did for each of us.

When we refuse to "let it go" we are in essence saying "what you did for me, Jesus, wasn't enough. I need something more. Something better."   

All too often, I think we forget that the Atonement is so much more than just saying you're sorry when you do something wrong. It's more than just "repenting." It's the only way to peace and freedom. It's not our job to worry and carry this stuff around, another has already paid the ultimate price for us and it is our responsibility to give Him our burdens so we don't have to be burdened.

I have heard it said that using the Atonement doesn't mean that you have to keep letting people in that will hurt you. I disagree. Every day we do things unwittingly that offends the Savior, and every day we should be going to him and seeking His forgiveness. Every time we go to Him He accepts us, embraces us and says "It's OK. I forgive you" and sends us on our way knowing full well there WILL be a "next time."

 Don't shake your head No at me, because it's true.

Of course we continually offend the Savior, it's in our nature -- its part of the natural man that we are trying to learn to "let go" of. We're not perfect and as such will always be in need of His forgiveness. Our job in this life is to become more like Him and what bigger way can you become more like Him than by learning to "let it go" and forgive, forget and move on? Doing it, knowing full well that someone will hurt you again. And, when they do, you "let it go", give it to Jesus so he can carry the burden and then you forgive, forget and move on.

The cycle will go on and on so we can learn to be more like the One who daily, sometimes hourly, forgives us, forgets and let's us move on.
Just some deep thoughts for you on this fine Friday morning.

***

Life is crazy here in Crazyland. I thought when my kids got older that it would slow down and I would find more time to do things I want, but it seems that the older my kids get the more they need me. Or my driving skills. I'm not sure which one more. Either way, I've been in high demand more since my children have become "self sufficient" and I like it.

My four kids, tallest to shortest, as Thing 2 likes to remind Thing 1.
When the kids were little they flocked to their Dad and I felt left out a lot. He spoke their language and has the patience of Job. The kids would stand by the door waiting for him to come home. When they got hurt, it wasn't me they wanted to kiss their boo-boos better, it was Daddy.  In the middle of the night, they wouldn't wake me, they'd wake Dad.

To be honest, it made me feel like a failure most of the time. What was wrong with me that my babies didn't want me, but their Dad? Wasn't I good enough for them? What was I doing wrong to make them seek out another?

Then slowly we started clicking and I could understand the language they were speaking. Slowly, ever slowly, the children have started turning to me and for the first time in a long time, I feel needed by my children. They come to me for help, answers and a listening ear. I've never been the one they seek out, and it feels good to be needed by them.

Our roles as parents shift and change with the growing and changing of the children. It's a constant wave of emotion we're riding over here, but I have to say that I am enjoying every bleeding second of it. These babies are turning into beautiful creatures, ones that I can't seem to get enough of. I want to drink up every single second I have with them while they still want me around. Because, it could change as quickly as the wind blows, and I want to make sure I have made the most of each and every moment I have with them.

***
We have a new member of our family. He joined us right after New Years and has wormed his way into our hearts quit effectively. The kids rush home from school and the first person they want to greet isn't a person at all... It's the dog. Rocky.


 He's our handsome new Boxer and has been a wonderful addition to our little family. He gets along beautifully with our children, but also with Amber,  the neighbors dog, who frequents our house daily. They run around the backyard chasing and playing and I can't even begin to tell you complete it makes our home feel.

Everyone loves Rocky, and we couldn't have found a better, more well behaved dog to be ours. The kids love him to pieces and you can often hear shrieks of joy coming from various parts of the house as they play with him.



And frankly? I think he loves us, too. Don't you? 

***
 Thing 1 has decided to serve a mission for our church. She's happily getting her papers ready to submit in April. I am absolutely thrilled for her to have this experience. It was something that I was able to do, and it totally changed my life and the way I see the world. It helps you grow and mature in ways that just going off to college cannot and frankly, it makes you a better spouse and parent. That time serving The Lord, full time, gives you depth and perspective. I am thrilled she going to have this experience.

I think about my mission almost every single day. It was the best decision I ever made, and I don't regret one single minute of it. It made me into the person that I am today, and taught me that I can do hard things.

***

I'm loving this song right now from Old Crow Medicine Show. The harmonies are tight, and every time I listen, I get lost.

That my friends is the sign of a good tune.


Give 'em a listen and see if they don't make you swoon.   
***
That's about all the randomness that I can vomit up at the moment. I hope everyone has a lovely weekend. Stay warm people and think happy , sunny thoughts to beckon spring on quicker.

Catch ya on the flip side. 

1. Wagon Wheel - Old Crow Medicine Show
2. 1 2 3 4  - Feist
3. Ho Hey - The Lumineers
4. Ghosts That We Knew - Mumford & Sons
5. Drumming Song - Florence + The Machine
6. Life's For The Living - Passenger
7. Clocks  - Old School Freight Train
8. Young Folks - Peter Bjorn and John
9. Hell of a Season - The Black Keys
10. 4 & 20 - Jeffrey Foucault

Bonus: Barton Hallow - The Civil Wars


  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes