Random Randomness and Then Some Tunes

Friday, April 13, 2012

"All God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable."- Fran Lebowitz

My peeps from Schmoles and I have a tradition of hitting Applebees after work for their half-priced appetizers. I actually really dig this little routine because hello Mr. won-ton chicken taco for $3.99! We always get the same waiter, Tony, who now knows us as his "regulars" and knows what we want to order and drink. It's actually quite the comforting thing-- this being known thing-- and I find it cathartic to walk into a place where everyone knows your name and what you like.

Tony brings us various drinks and appetizers and then we all sit and chew the fat. It's fun for me to see how complete strangers can come together and just be themselves with no judgement from anyone else and we just gab for an hour or so and then head out on our various ways. I love it.

One night we went in and there was a new group of people there. I kept wondering why I was hearing a buzzer, like one I would hear at a basketball game. I stood up to get a good look at the new crew and realized that they had a jumbo-- and I do mean JUMBO -- big screen TV that they had brought WITH THEM into Applebees. Along with a portable DVD player.

I thought it was probably just a bunch of high school coaches scouting out their next opponents. Which I'm totally OK with, that kind of coaching makes sense to me. We all agreed that it was probably a bunch of coaches and then went on with our B.S session.

We were wrong. Like WAY wrong.

Tony made a bee-line to our table and gave us the low-down on the new regulars.

See they are dudes in their late 50's who like to play church ball. And they record themselves playing church ball. Because that's what cool dudes in their late 50's do-- record themselves playing church ball.

But wait. There's more.

After the game is over, they head over to Applebees where they get a pint of brew and watch the entire CHURCH ball game all over again. Where they drink beer, and pause the recording of the game THEY JUST PLAYED to let their pals know exactly what they were trying to accomplish but didn't actually get accomplished.

You see the irony, right? 

"See that? Right there I was trying to go up for a slam block, but Garth totally elbowed me in the face which is why I missed it. See? Right there... there's the elbow... And... there's when he made the basket." 

Totally not kidding.

I nearly peed my pants when I heard that conversation and Tony AND the manager came over and gave us blow-by-blow details from all their conversations.

Well. I of course did what any responsible blogger would do. I took a picture of them so I could mock document it.

 photo taken at super zoom on my iPhone and edited on my iPhone

 *****
I said to my pal Veronica the other day that I was feeling pretty good about my life and that I could see that I was in a totally different place this year than where I was this time last year. "For the better?" she asked me and I replied "Oh yeah! Totally!" She started to giggle and said "I think so too, but you had to say it first!"

Yeah.

It's true. I am in a totally different place this year and it is a very very good place. I feel at peace and that is something that I have been craving for years. I feel peaceful and content. And, I like that feeling.

I like where I am and who I'm with and I don't really care any more what other people think or say.  I have this silly mantra that I say to myself when I start obsessing about the fact that people "don't approve of me" or don't like me or whatever.

"Those that matter don't care 
and those that care don't matter."

And you know what? It's totally true.

*****
Freaking Mother Nature needs to get back on her meds. She clearly is not ready to be off  that dang bi-polar medication. One day its nearly 80 and the next its in the mid 40's??

What the crap?

Not cool Madre. Not cool.

*****
That's it for this weeks randomness.
 Have a great weekend, peeps and I'll see YOU on the flip side!

  1. Honey I Been Thinking ABout You - Jackie Greene
  2. Kissing the Lipless - The Shins
  3. Please Do Not Let Me Go - Ryan Adams
  4. Fade Into You - Mazzy Star
  5. Can't You See - Marshall Tucker Band
  6. Little Talks - Of Monsters & Men 
  7. Dog Days Are Over - Florence + The Machine
  8. Welcome Home - Radical Face
  9. Intro - The Xx 
  10. Getting Old - Hellogoodbye
 Bonus: Strange Days - We Are Augustines





  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes