Thursday, August 09, 2007

Thing 1 turned 12 today.
TWELVE.
Where on earth did all that time go? I feel like I am in a whirlwind. Seriously.
It seems like just yesterday we were holding hands, skipping off to Kindergarten, and Me crying all the way home. She has turned into a lovely... No. Beautiful young lady.
She is smart, and really has her head on solid. She went and met with our Bishop recently to get her advancement into the Young Womens youth group our church has. He pulled me aside a couple of days later and said "Your daughter is amazing! She has her act TOGETHER! It was wonderful to talk with her, because she really understands what it is all about!" He kept going on and on about what a remarkable girl she is. I smiled and said "I know. We have been truly blessed with this amazing child!"
And we have.
She is amazing! She gets more dramatic as the days go by and I seriously find myself shaking my head wondering if I am going to survive her drama... But she also gets more fun to talk with. She has opinions, and she isn't afraid of using them.
She knows BIG words, and shes not afraid of them.
She understands what makes a good friend, and she's not afraid to be one.
She knows who God is, and isn't embarrassed to have a relationship with Him.
She impresses me... She is miles and miles ahead of where I was when I was her age. The sky is the limit for her, and I hope she sees and understands her potential. It is limitless.
When she wants to be, she is soo kind and sweet with Thing 3. Thing 3 insisted on getting her Jewelry and a new Barbie for her birthday present. The Barbie she said was so that Thing 1 would have one to play Barbie's with her. How thoughtful! :P
Thing 1 turned 12 today. It makes me sad to think of it, actually. I only have 6 more years with her in my home... under my roof.... seeing her on a daily basis. In 6 more years she will be off to college.
SIX YEARS PEOPLE!
That thought makes my heart hurt. This child has been such a blessing in my life. She is the ultimate glue that keeps our family together and on track. She is our conscience. She wants us to be good. And not just good, but REALLY good. She corrects me when I screw up. And it really bugs me, 'cause I know she's right.
Twelve. I still can't believe it. She is starting to get her own agenda. Her own ideas. Her own beliefs. She is starting to stand on her own 2 feet. Granted, sometimes its a bit wobbly, but she is doing it. I am excited for her to stand alone, but also sad. Soon, all too soon, she wont need Jefe and I as much anymore... if at all really.
Sigh.
Twelve.
She has been reading all summer long. She's probably read 7-8 books. And not just books, but BIG books--- 600+ pages each. In 7th grade this year, she has to read 800 pages a term. I think that in the course of this summer, she has read enough for the entire year. I told her she needs to keep track of what it is she has read, what it was about and then she can pull from those books when her homework is out of control. Notice that I said WHEN and not IF. I know it will happen, and reading to her is more important than anything else... So I am trying to prevent a total disaster.
Happy birthday Thing 1. I am so grateful that you came to our house to live. You have been a huge blessing, and are so fun watch. You are growing and changing into a beautiful young lady.
I love you,
Mom

















