Watching the World Pass By
Wednesday, July 25, 2012
I have this tacky camping chair that I like to sit in on my driveway to think and watch the world float by. I can face the mountains and watch the sunset reflect off them, turning them various shades of pink and purple. I understand that phrase "Purple Mountains Majesty." It is a beautiful site.
The clouds started turning and moving-- doing an exotic dance that was entrancing and seemed to be only for me. I could hear them moaning and churning as they danced and if I listened carefully I could hear the low rumble of thunder trying to break free.
Slowly the wind met with the leaves in the trees and they started their familiar dance, singing a beautiful song. The sounds and sites were hypnotic as I sat in my chair listening to the world around me.
I listened to the distant crackle, pop and boom of fireworks while the wind and trees continued their dance. It would crescendo and decrescendo in such a mesmerizing way. I couldn't tear my eyes from the giant trees across the street. They swayed perfectly to the unheard song of their dance. It was if they were marrying themselves to each other over and over again and at the exact perfect moment, the sky exploded in a sea of color-- blues, greens, reds and yellows-- the perfect culmination of this forbidden dance of the wind and trees.
Then the rain slowly descended. It was refreshing, that smell from the rain, and it felt clean. I sat there and let the rain pour down on me as I continued to listen and watch the forbidden dance of the trees and watch the firework display in front of me. It was a perfect moment.
It was calming watching the world-- changing, growing, moving-- being cleansed and given a chance to start fresh. I love watching storms come creeping over my little piece of the world. It reminds me that I always have a new day and a fresh start.
Just like that, I can let go of my past, forgive myself and move forward. There is always a new beginning just around the corner.
*pulled from the archives. Originally published on July 25, 2011


















