Random Randomness and Then Some Tunes

Friday, December 30, 2011

“Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared” - Jack Handy 


I hate scary movies. Like really hate them.

My family loves them.

How did I end up with a bunch of weirdos that like to get scared? ON PURPOSE?

I guess I'm just a giant scaredy-pant-boo-wah-baby because even Moxie can sit through this stuff and not get completely wigged out. Me? Not so much. And to be totally honest, it's not like we're over here watching Horror Flicks or anything. We're talking Goosebumps people.GOOSEBUMPS.

Yes. I totally get scared from Goosebumps.

Don't judge.

*****

Would it be completely sacrilegious if I told that I am freaking glad that Christmas Vacation ends this weekend and the kids are heading back to school on Monday?

Because I totally am.

I find myself being plagued by the boogity-boogity when I admit that little nugget, too. Don't get me wrong, I love my kids like crazy. "They are my world." They are also hell-bent on killing me. I am slowly drowning in a sea of their crap that is strung from one end of the house to other. Once they head back to school the house can stay clutter free for six hours a day while they are off enlightening their minds with french and algebra.

Truthfully, I have a hard time relating to women whose entire existence is to simply take care of their children. When I hear them talking about how much they love having all their kids at home with them (making messes) it does not compute. When they talk about how excited they are for summer, I find myself wondering what is wrong with me... because that thought brings on panic attacks. I just don't get it.

I don't, by any means, begrudge their lifestyle choice either. I just don't get it. I need that extra stimulation and frankly a reason to get up in the mornings. My kids home all day does not offer me the necessary umph to drag my sorry rear out of bed every morning. Getting them off to school? Me going to work? Yes. Those are the types of things that force me to get up in the morning. Everyone hanging out, making messes? Not so much.

Neither choice is more right than other they are just different ways of doing things.

*****




Portlandia.

Watch it.

You'll thank me later.

"you can put a bird on it and call it art!"

{ Snort.}

*****

Jefe and I have a little game that we like to play and it always starts the same way - with me sending him a text asking "when you coming home cause I don't know when", his response is always the same "I don't know when, but we'll get together then yeah. You know we'll have a good time then."

We then spend the next however long shooting obscure song lyrics back and forth at each other-- and the one that receives the text has to send back another line from the song. The more obscure the lyrics are the better.

The most recent ones we threw around?

Jefe: two trailer park girls go round the outside

Me: testing "attention please" feel the tension soon as someone mentions me."

{ name that song. ready. set. go.}

It's crazy fun.

I'm not really sure how it all morphed into what it has, but me likey. A lot.

*****
It's going to be a mellow New Years around these parts and I'm glad. We're gonna hunker down, watch stupid movies-- or maybe a Mt Everest Marathon-- eat bacon wrapped water chestnuts and ring in the new year as a family.

Should be loads of fun.

Unless the teenagers decide they need to do their own partying... then not so much.

Catch ya on the flip side, peeps!
  1. Trip Through Your Wires - U2
  2. Jails & Bombs - Amos Lee
  3. #41 - Dave Matthews Band
  4. With Or Without You - U2 
  5. Oxford Comma - Vampire Weekend
  6. Just Like Heaven - The Watson Twins
  7. No Such Thing - John Mayer
  8. Spectrum - Florence & The Machines
  9. Shake Down on Ninth Street - Ryan Adams
  10. Baby Blue - Dave Matthews Band 
Bonus: Bad Things - Jace Everett, True Blood Soundtrack


  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes