Another Portlandia Moment

Tuesday, January 17, 2012


Jefe and I discovered Portlandia during the holidays. It is seriously one of the weirdest yet funniest shows we have ever watched and we can't seem to get enough of it! It's full of the best one-liners since the old days on SNL. Which makes perfect sense, seeing how it's produced by Lorne Michaels and has tons of SNL actors in the skits. It's just high quality SNL -- making fun of quirky things in society.

Take for instance this skit on ordering at a restaurant. The waiter is hell-bent on telling them every single thing they can find on the menu, which we found hysterical. The facial expressions of Fred's character makes me snort every time I watch this. Which is a lot.

I think what makes this show so freaking funny is the fact that its a parody on life. Every where we go now Jefe and I find ourselves looking at each other and then busting a gut because hello! Was that a Portlandia moment?

Take, for example, my experience at the Apple Store recently. It was a culinary fest of satire.

People. All  I wanted was to buy a cover for my iPad.

That's all.

Just a simple little cover.

The Apple employee had something totally different in mind. He sat me down at the little desk and proceeded to parade in front of me all the covers available to man-kind.

"Now here we have a darling green one that has this cute little dangly-thinger. I think of all the covers we have this one says TECH GIRL the most."

Yes he did.

He totally said that.

My eyes started glazing over and I looked to Jefe for help and saw that he was mouthing "Crazy Craigs Guac Tacs" at me, which made me start to laugh.

The parade continued.

He was pulling more and more covers out, faster and faster and my head was starting to spin from the whirlwind of iPad covers flashing in front of my eyes. It was like an iPad Rave happening in front of my face. I could hardly focus my eyes.

Really. I just wanted a simple iPad cover, not the millennium falcon version of iPad covers. Is that too much to ask? Just a cover. Get in. Get out. Get on with your life. An iPad cover. Nothing more.

Finally I told him that I really liked the one my girlfriend Veronica bought so I would go call her and come back later and get the one she bought. I told him that I knew she had done all the research and I was  content with being a complete copy-cat and not screaming "Tech Girl" every time I took my iPad out.

He promptly asked me her full name, did some typing on the computer and said "Aha! I know exactly which one she bought!" And I had my magic iPad cover that was just like Veronica's.

After enduring 20 minutes of the epic iPad cover parade.

And Jefe laughing because Hello.  

That was a Portlandia moment.


  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes