Thursday, November 16, 2006
My dearest friend --Louisiana Chick-- who I have known for about 15 years (GASP! Has it been that long?), has her husband--Anonymous Sailor Boy-- serving in Iraq. He sends out these emails to all of us to let us know that he is ok and what is REALLY going on over there. I have posted a few things from him on here, with his permission, of course. Here is another one that is profound, and I felt you all should read.
Today is Veterans Day. We started the morning off with an attack that killed 2 soldiers and wounded 2 others. Latter in the afternoon we received an imminent threat message warning of a new danger that we knew was possible but didnt really think would happen; now that its been confirmed its just one more thing to worry about.
The days are getting shorter and the temperature is dropping a little more each day. Mid-day is about 65 and nights are around 50; pretty cold when you are used to 130 during the day time.
Our entire LNO team will be turning over in preparation of leaving in the coming weeks and everyone is being just a little more cautious. Weve had 3 injuries from snipers in the last month; a bullet struck a metal pole I was next to but I dont know if it was from a sniper or a celebratory round, I also had one come through the roof of my trailer. We also had 2 more of our interpreters kidnapped, tortured and executed the other day.
Its funny how this experience will change you. When I first arrived I looked around and ducked at every boom or sound of gunfire. Now I dont really notice it all that much, its like the background noise that traffic makes; you know its there but its just not important unless its real close. Some things become automatic. Every time Ive been on the road or in town I endlessly scanned the roads, windows and rooftops looking for IED and insurgents while kneeling down so I presented myself as a smaller target. Some things havent changed. I still get sick when I see the mangled bodies of children and the results of the insurgents handiwork, I still feel sad when I see the conditions in which many people live, and I still laugh every time I "zap" an unsuspecting Army vehicle with a Navy sticker.
I guess the one thing that struck me about today is that were here fighting and some people back home support us, some dont, some are proud of us, others think were war mongers, some cant wait for our return and others hope we never come home. But we are fighting for their rights and freedom, everyones regardless of what the feel or believe. Here in Iraq its the same thing, some want us gone, some are happy were here, some are proud of us, etc . you get the idea. But again we are doing the same for them as we do for own citizens. I think a lot of countries could be thankful for U.S. veterans on this day.
I sent him an email thanking him for everything he does... every single day so that we can enjoy the freedoms we do.
Here is his response:
Motherboard,
The biggest thing Ive learned here is the true value of life and the importance of family. Ive always known the value of each but I have a whole new perspective now. Taking a life is much easier to discuss than actually doing it. Living with a decision is much harder than living with "what if". Introspection means you lived and someone didnt. The news at home about the war may be bad but it doesnt even begin to scratch the surface of the horrors that happen here everyday. Here, human life is a disposable commodity. Easily taken without any conscience; not all suicide bombers are volunteers and they arent always adults. Many of the things Ive seen are so bad I cant even talk about them. People at home have no idea how bad things will be for the U.S. if we leave Iraq too early. Iran is just waiting to take over southern Iraq when we leave and has been fighting the U.S. through surrogate organizations (insurgents) every since the war began. In my province Iran has been arming and training the insurgents, but you will never see this in the news.
Every parent in the U.S. should kiss and hug their children at every opportunity. Children are our most valuable treasure and you would be shocked at how little value people in many countries place on them, and sadly even some in our own cities. Sorry if I started to rant. I start thinking about all of this and the next thing I know Im on some type of tirade. Im just anxious to get home to Louisanna Chick and the kids. I have such a wonderful family and am very blessed to have Louisanna Chick in my life.
Take care.
Anonymous Sailor Boy
He is right.
We need to be more grateful for the sacrifices that are being made for us.
Whether we agree or not.
If you are a praying person, pray for our troops... especially Anonymous Sailor Boy. He gets to come home soon. Lets pray him home SAFE!!
Today is Veterans Day. We started the morning off with an attack that killed 2 soldiers and wounded 2 others. Latter in the afternoon we received an imminent threat message warning of a new danger that we knew was possible but didnt really think would happen; now that its been confirmed its just one more thing to worry about.
The days are getting shorter and the temperature is dropping a little more each day. Mid-day is about 65 and nights are around 50; pretty cold when you are used to 130 during the day time.
Our entire LNO team will be turning over in preparation of leaving in the coming weeks and everyone is being just a little more cautious. Weve had 3 injuries from snipers in the last month; a bullet struck a metal pole I was next to but I dont know if it was from a sniper or a celebratory round, I also had one come through the roof of my trailer. We also had 2 more of our interpreters kidnapped, tortured and executed the other day.
Its funny how this experience will change you. When I first arrived I looked around and ducked at every boom or sound of gunfire. Now I dont really notice it all that much, its like the background noise that traffic makes; you know its there but its just not important unless its real close. Some things become automatic. Every time Ive been on the road or in town I endlessly scanned the roads, windows and rooftops looking for IED and insurgents while kneeling down so I presented myself as a smaller target. Some things havent changed. I still get sick when I see the mangled bodies of children and the results of the insurgents handiwork, I still feel sad when I see the conditions in which many people live, and I still laugh every time I "zap" an unsuspecting Army vehicle with a Navy sticker.
I guess the one thing that struck me about today is that were here fighting and some people back home support us, some dont, some are proud of us, others think were war mongers, some cant wait for our return and others hope we never come home. But we are fighting for their rights and freedom, everyones regardless of what the feel or believe. Here in Iraq its the same thing, some want us gone, some are happy were here, some are proud of us, etc . you get the idea. But again we are doing the same for them as we do for own citizens. I think a lot of countries could be thankful for U.S. veterans on this day.
I sent him an email thanking him for everything he does... every single day so that we can enjoy the freedoms we do.
Here is his response:
Motherboard,
The biggest thing Ive learned here is the true value of life and the importance of family. Ive always known the value of each but I have a whole new perspective now. Taking a life is much easier to discuss than actually doing it. Living with a decision is much harder than living with "what if". Introspection means you lived and someone didnt. The news at home about the war may be bad but it doesnt even begin to scratch the surface of the horrors that happen here everyday. Here, human life is a disposable commodity. Easily taken without any conscience; not all suicide bombers are volunteers and they arent always adults. Many of the things Ive seen are so bad I cant even talk about them. People at home have no idea how bad things will be for the U.S. if we leave Iraq too early. Iran is just waiting to take over southern Iraq when we leave and has been fighting the U.S. through surrogate organizations (insurgents) every since the war began. In my province Iran has been arming and training the insurgents, but you will never see this in the news.
Every parent in the U.S. should kiss and hug their children at every opportunity. Children are our most valuable treasure and you would be shocked at how little value people in many countries place on them, and sadly even some in our own cities. Sorry if I started to rant. I start thinking about all of this and the next thing I know Im on some type of tirade. Im just anxious to get home to Louisanna Chick and the kids. I have such a wonderful family and am very blessed to have Louisanna Chick in my life.
Take care.
Anonymous Sailor Boy
He is right.
We need to be more grateful for the sacrifices that are being made for us.
Whether we agree or not.
If you are a praying person, pray for our troops... especially Anonymous Sailor Boy. He gets to come home soon. Lets pray him home SAFE!!

















