Are you kidding me? Here's your sign. And a smack up side the head. And lets just throw in 7-10 for good measure.

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Typically, I do not interject myself into complete strangers conversations. My mother taught me that is rude. However, yesterday when I was shopping at Old Navy the temptation to interject myself into a complete strangers conversation became almost unbearable.
I even walked away.
But I could still hear her talking... and the angry lady came out.

There was this 20 something employee that had been helping me find various sizes of clothing for my kidlets. She was cute, hip and quite happening. After her much appreciated help, she returned to her "post" where her friend was waiting for her to finish out their conversation. I was still looking at some more things, and totally MINDING MY OWN BUSINESS, when she must have picked her conversation up right where they left off...

Hip Old Navy Girl: I have no problem getting into the car and driving, if its only me in the car.

Friend: I still think that is not a good idea.

HONG: (ha ha) - I mean, I really wouldn't want anyone to get mad at me. So, I would probably just drive everyone anyway. I mean, a couple of 'em can't really hurt ya that much. I would rather just drive myself. I can only hurt myself if I just drive myself. I would be responsible for just me and that's better. Ya know?

This is where the angry lady took over. I could not believe what I was hearing. This cute, hip, happening girl changed right before my eyes into something not so hip and happening.

I walked away seething. I mean, was this conversation I was witnessing for real?

I told her that she wasn't hurting "just herself" when she got behind the wheel, after having been drinking. She was endangering every single person on the road... including me and my 4 babies. How dare she drink and then drive. Who did she think she was?? How incredibly self centered was she anyway to think that SHE was the only one affected by her decision to drink and drive?? That one, stupid decision would change not only her life, but the lives of people she had never even met...

OK.

Maybe I didn't say all that to the dumb girl. But I sure as heck wanted to. I mean, how totally stupid and irresponsible to think that her drinking only affects herself. I really wanted to go completely postal on her... but I refrained. Now I regret that didn't say something to her. Instead, I just stomped around the store fuming.

What would you have done?


  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes