Lessons Learned at the Doctors Office

Monday, December 20, 2010


My mother guilt has been working on over time lately.

Thing 1 came to me a while back and said "Mom, I feel really sick!"

Do you know what my response was? "Suck it up,cupcake! You're taking College classes in school and you can't miss school for every little sore throat you get!"

Turns out I should have listened to her.  

Several days later she came home from school, completely panicked: "Mom! I still have a sore throat and now I have a giant lump-- right here! Feel it!"

I still didn't listen to her.

That is until the spirit hit me upside the head the next day while I was doing the dishes.

That's right. I sent my sick kid, with a lump on her throat, back to school.

As I was doing the morning dishes I found myself thinking about Thing 1 and what a great kid she is when a thought ran through my brain so fast, I almost missed it: "You would miss her so much if she died."

Suddenly that lump she had told me about the night before came stomping back into my consciousnesses.  I had my child dead and buried within 10 minutes. I saw the funeral and dang! She had a lot of people there-- crying for the loss of such an amazing child.

To say I was freaked out would be an understatement.

I sat and sobbed as I looked out my kitchen window because I knew the Lord was warning me. She had it, and I knew it.

Then I decided that NO. It wasn't God, but just Crazy Estelle that tries to convince me all the time that my kids are dying.

But, just to be on the safe side, I made a Doctors Appointment for her, and they worked her in immediately. Which sort of freaked me out some more.

As we sat in the Doctor's office, we were both nervous. Neither one of us said it, but we were both thinking it.

After a thorough examination the Doctor declared Thing 1 to be Cancer Free, however, she did have a very  nasty Staph Infection in her lymph nodes. Which is apparently, very scary.

(Great! Just what Crazy Estelle needed-- More Ammo!)

They put her on some super heavy duty antibiotics-- which actually made her more sick.  As if that was even possible.

Here's the thing:  My kid was prepared to go to school-- barfing, fever, and almost dying (not really)-- just so she could take her three tests that she had that day. She had Jefe and her Grandpa come and give her a blessing so she would be well enough to go take her tests.

That kid has faith. And, is just plain good.

I need to start believing my kid when she tells me she's sick. Because if she's telling me she's sick, she's usually REALLY sick.

Like Swine Flu - Staph Infection sick.

But,  I can deal with a Staph Infection. Mostly.

Cancer? I can't.


  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes