Organize My Life, Please

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

pretty shoes- heart shoesWhenever I “take my life back” and eliminate things that are stressing me out, it seems like my home life sort of spirals out of control.

Which is the exact opposite of what you would think would happen.

Not busy should = clean house and a Martha-esq dinner every night, right?

Not for me.

That only seems to happen when I am super scheduled out and spread extra thin.

I think the reason is because when I find myself needing to be 97 different places at once, I am organized. I am structured. I am scheduled.

I use my Google calendar—that I have emailed to me every morning of what I’m cooking, cleaning and doing that day.  I plan my menus and I follow my cleaning schedule.

Yes. I actually plan two weeks worth of meals AND I have a schedule of what I clean on what days. Monday’s = Laundry.  Friday = Bathrooms.

Being busy means I have to be organized. I try to always follow the cleaning schedule but I am pretty flexible on the cooking.

Although, when I started having my menu emailed to me daily—with a link to the recipe—I  stayed on course pretty well.

When I take my life back my house always looks like a tornado tore through it and we have pop tarts for dinner.

I have tried over these past several months to “take my life back” and not be 97 different places at once. And, by doing that it has actually had the opposite effect. My house looks like WWIII, we eat super crappy meals – not not together I might add—and everyone is ornery. Me most of all.

So, I’m getting back in the saddle. Not of being in 97 different places at once, but in being organized.

 I’m throwing crap away. I’m following my schedule. I’m planning my meals.

I will be organized.

Hear me roar.

I have my spot in the kitchen that put my little Netbook. While I do the dishes in the morning, I let the computer warm up. I also have my iHome there—and we listen to Scripture Podcasts (or this podcast—which my little kids LOVE)  in the morning. When we do that, there seems to be less chaos in the morning.

While everyone is eating breakfast and listening to “the man read the Lord” (as Thing 2 used to call it) I get the dishes done and the lunches made. Then I check my email and see what Google tells me I’m supposed to clean and cook that day.

I always include a link to the recipe from allrecipes.com because then it’s just one stop looking—read my email, click on my recipe and we’re in business. See. I know myself. And, I know I’m lazy. If I have to go looking for the recipe, I’m less likely to get it done and more likely to get sidetracked. I’m the queen of sidetracked-ness.

So, when I schedule the meals, I take one extra step and include that link to the recipe.

Trust me. It’s awesome.

Here’s the trick to eating healthy: Make your dinner first thing in the morning  before you’ve done 97 other things. Before all the kids come home and turn into emotional vampires—and suck you dry. Make that meal first thing in the morning. I don’t usually bake it until later. But, dang! When I’m tired, and it’s 4:30 and I remember I have to actually feed these people? It feels really good to remember that I already took care of that little chore.

I will take my life back this year. I will keep my house organized and I will make healthy meals.

All thanks to Google and allrecipes.com!


  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes