OH NO!

Friday, October 28, 2005

Noises. Some noises are good: children laughing, babies crying, babies cooing, basketball games, swooshing of snow skis, the humm of a boat, the lawn mower... but some noises are bad. Some are actually really obnoxious. Especially in the middle of the night.

I had a nightmare last night. Some crazy thing was trying to catch Hombre and Me, and we were hiding from it... I woke myself up yelling his name. Surprisingly, he didn't wake up. But, then I heard it. The noise. At first I thought it was the bathroom sink on, slowly dripping. No, not my bathroom. No, not the kids bathroom. Was it the laundry room sink? No. Where was that comming from? Then I realized it was above me, in the ceiling. How could that be? I got a ladder, and stood there. Sure enough, there it was. The noise. Drip. Drip. Drip. Constantly, not stopping. Drip. Drip. Drip. Now, I am a freaker. That is common knowledge. It doesn't take much to get me to freak out. I go and wake up Hombre. He looks at me like I am on crack. He comes out, listens, then says "Yup. It's a drip. Go back to sleep." And proceeds to go back to bed. WHAT?? How am I supposed to sleep with that? The noise?! Drip. Drip. Drip. I am sure that it gets louder when I go to the family room. Drip. Drip. Drip. I know that sounds crazy. But I am sure that it is dripping louder, as if to say, "don't forget that I am here!"

Fast forward to morning. Hombre recalls me waking him up, but is convinced that there was no drip. I convince him to get on the ladder, and sure enough, he hears it too! And now, the ceiling is wet! Yikes!! It's freak out time again. I call several roofers. No one can help us. Not until next week. Yikes! Still freaking. I take the kids to their halloween parties. All the while obssesing over the dripping. I get home, and I poke a hole in the ceiling, cause its sagging.

Then I do what any normal woman does. I called my best friend. I told her how my life sucked. That everything was falling apart. And I proceeded to tell her everything that was ever wrong... you know how it all comes rushing back to you when you are upset?? She told me life didn't suck, that I just needed to cry. I needed to get it all out. Then I would be able to think straight. So I did. I cried my eyballs out.

My parents called while I was crying... They could tell I was a mess, so they came rushing to my rescue. My awesome Dad climbs up into the attic and diagnoses the leak. "It is comming from those un-sightly pipes on the top of the house. You just need to put some tar around them. It's no big deal. All is well! Stop freaking out!" Awesome Dad says. Whew! Am I ever relieved.

I do have to say this though--having a good, hard, freak out cry is cleansing! I feel better, and its cause the house isn't falling in on us. But also I suspect, its cause I cried the ugly cry today.


  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes