The Thermostat Wars

Thursday, October 28, 2010



Every single year a battle ensues in my home.

Every. Single. Year. without fail and if there were actual blunt force trauma objects used, there would be lots of blood. Lots and lots of blood.

It's The Thermostat Wars.

{dun dun dun dun}

Jefe likes it cold in the house in winter.

I like it warm inside the house in the winter.

(makes perfect sense, right?!)

Complete opposites.

I hear they attract.

I go to bed each night with my sweats on, tube socks pulled all the way up, and a hoodie --pulled up around my ears.

It's WAY sexy.

Then I have an electric blanket cranked to its highest temperature along with a down comforter, another quilt and a heating pad. I'M STILL FREEZING PEOPLE. Still Freezing.

You know it's cold in your room when your nose is frozen and you can see your breath.

 I wonder if this would keep me warm? 'Cause it's super sexy.

He would LOVE IT if he could keep the windows open during the winter and a fan blowing. All night long.  Srsly. 

I turn the temperature up.

He turns it down.

And round and round we go.

All winter long.

 Hey! Turn the heat up! It's cold outside!

Now there are plenty of people who get where Jefe is coming from-- they hate to be hot when they sleep, too. I get that. I guess I'm just weird that way-- I like to sleep under my down comforter in the middle of July. I like to be warm, especially when I sleep. If I could get away with having all my blankets and wrapping myself up next to Jefe to bask in HIS body heat while I slept I totally would.

Jefe? Not so much.

The colder the better for him.

The temperature goes up. The temperature goes down.

Which really does numbers on your heating bill.

I know exactly what you are thinking: Put on a freaking sweater, Motherboard. Well, guess what? I do. And, I'm still cold. There is nothing more miserable than being cold. I hate it. Loathe it. Despise it.

I even have a space heater on my desk AND under my desk.

Yes two. Blowing heat at the exact same time. Sometimes even in July.

I joke with people and tell them that the only time of day that I am truly warm during the winter is when I'm in the shower or driving in my car. You can only take so many showers before you start looking like a prune. And, then there's that whole get out of the shower and be cold again thing.

{shudder}

I crank the heat so high in my car that I could wear only a short sleeve shirt, and I like it. A lot.

I heard somewhere that like 75% of women like to sleep warm and 75% of men like to sleep cold. So maybe we're not headed down the divorce highway after all.

I'm seriously considering buying me some of those Split the Sheets and a dual control mattress pad . I can have the polar fleece side of the sheets and he can have the cotton. I can have the mattress pad on Sun Heat and he can have his on Blowing Ice Chunks.

It's all about compromise people. That's what makes a marriage work.


  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes