{awesome title goes here}
Tuesday, September 08, 2009
Jefe told our kids that if they could remember 3 things from the speech that we could talk about, he would get them each a prize.
Thing 1: I dunno. Some kids told me he was going to use mind control on us and hypnotize us into thinking his health care plan was a good idea. I told them they were retarded.
Thing 2: My education is my responsibility.
Thing 3: We want to keep the schools the bestest that we can and that He's the president of Basketball and swimming.
I think Thing 3 wins.
***
I read the speech on line and thought it was fantastic. Then on a whim I decided to drive up to the school just see if people really were throwing a fit.
They were.
I walked past a classroom where the kids whose parents wouldn't let them listen to the speech and I saw a boy plugging his ears. He looked terrified. It made me sad to think what his parents must have told him about the speech today. Really. What would make him feel like he would need to plug his ears and keep his head down on the desk?
The Secretaries and I were lamenting about how silly all the hub-bub was when a parent started ranting that she just wanted it to not be a dictatorship and to be able to watch it at home with her children.
While I can respect that idea, I find that thought process ridiculous and I as much told her so. If I am anything at all, its tactless.
That argument will not stand up, I told her, because the main audience he is targeting is not children who come from homes like yours or mine. It's kids who lack parental support; Kids who are poor or who may think college is not an option or who don't have the means to attend college.
Watching it at home would be beneficial to OUR children, but what about those kids? The ones who feel like getting an education is less than worthwhile and have zero adult support in their lives? Those are the kids he's targeting. Moreover, stating that this is akin to a dictatorship is just plain ignorant.
This is nothing like a dictatorship. Dictators do not want their countrymen to be educated. They do not want them to have their own thoughts. This speech was clearly pro education, and pro personal responsibility. He encouraged education and taking personal responsibility. He told them to not offer excuses as to why they couldn't, but offer solutions as to why they could. Yes, its hard. But, life is hard. Yes, you will fail. But what can you learn from those failures so you will be better?
That, my friends is not a dictatorship.
If you want a definition of a dictatorship research the Venezuelan government. Hugo Chavez is a dictator. He controls the media-- and makes his countrymen listen to him every night for 3-4 hours. He rants about everything-- including the fact that being educated is not necessary.
He tells his countrymen that going to school is stupid and a waste of time. He does not fund education (our government does), and he is closing schools left and right. The best way to oppress people and become a true dictator is to take away the need or desire for education. When you are uneducated, you are easier to control.
Hugo Chavez does that. He is a dictator. President Obama is not.
The End.
Thing 1: I dunno. Some kids told me he was going to use mind control on us and hypnotize us into thinking his health care plan was a good idea. I told them they were retarded.
Thing 2: My education is my responsibility.
Thing 3: We want to keep the schools the bestest that we can and that He's the president of Basketball and swimming.
I think Thing 3 wins.
***
I read the speech on line and thought it was fantastic. Then on a whim I decided to drive up to the school just see if people really were throwing a fit.
They were.
I walked past a classroom where the kids whose parents wouldn't let them listen to the speech and I saw a boy plugging his ears. He looked terrified. It made me sad to think what his parents must have told him about the speech today. Really. What would make him feel like he would need to plug his ears and keep his head down on the desk?
The Secretaries and I were lamenting about how silly all the hub-bub was when a parent started ranting that she just wanted it to not be a dictatorship and to be able to watch it at home with her children.
While I can respect that idea, I find that thought process ridiculous and I as much told her so. If I am anything at all, its tactless.
That argument will not stand up, I told her, because the main audience he is targeting is not children who come from homes like yours or mine. It's kids who lack parental support; Kids who are poor or who may think college is not an option or who don't have the means to attend college.
Watching it at home would be beneficial to OUR children, but what about those kids? The ones who feel like getting an education is less than worthwhile and have zero adult support in their lives? Those are the kids he's targeting. Moreover, stating that this is akin to a dictatorship is just plain ignorant.
This is nothing like a dictatorship. Dictators do not want their countrymen to be educated. They do not want them to have their own thoughts. This speech was clearly pro education, and pro personal responsibility. He encouraged education and taking personal responsibility. He told them to not offer excuses as to why they couldn't, but offer solutions as to why they could. Yes, its hard. But, life is hard. Yes, you will fail. But what can you learn from those failures so you will be better?
That, my friends is not a dictatorship.
If you want a definition of a dictatorship research the Venezuelan government. Hugo Chavez is a dictator. He controls the media-- and makes his countrymen listen to him every night for 3-4 hours. He rants about everything-- including the fact that being educated is not necessary.
He tells his countrymen that going to school is stupid and a waste of time. He does not fund education (our government does), and he is closing schools left and right. The best way to oppress people and become a true dictator is to take away the need or desire for education. When you are uneducated, you are easier to control.
Hugo Chavez does that. He is a dictator. President Obama is not.
The End.
*I swear I will not write another political post ever again. *

















