Random randomness and then some tunes
Friday, September 04, 2009
Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. - Ferris Bueller's Day Off
I have been trying desperately to get myself back on a schedule. I've been doing laundry on Monday's. Washing, folding and putting it away. (did you hear the hallelujah chorus?) Bathrooms are Monday's and Fridays. Vacuum every other day. Make my bed as soon as I get up. Sadly, my bohemian self has really thrived on my new schedule.
I have also been making dinner first thing in the morning. Whatever it is, I make the entire thing, and then put it in the fridge. The only thing left to do is bake the meal. It has been super nice, and we have actually had meals other than cold cereal.
The other day, I made Ranch chicken. It makes a ton, so I made 3 pans of it and froze them all. While I was happily making my chicken, listening to talk radio (and feeling my eye twitch) I started smelling a happy, lemony smell.
Moxie took an entire bottle of comet and flung it everywhere. EVERYWHERE people. Do you know how hard it is to clean up comet, for Googles sake?
This time around, I had the presence of mind to take photos (after calling poison control and sanitizing Moxie).
*****
Want to know how big of a nerd I am? I subscribe to a magazine called Artful Blogging. I love it! I hold it, caress it, and devour every single page. There are a lot of blogs featured in there that I was reading BEFORE I ever found this magazine. I'm cool like that.
There is an article in one of the past issues that I felt was really relevant and I wanted to share a little from it. It's on Blogging Etiquette. It must be true, if its in a blogging magazine, right?
It's important to remember that a person's blog is the equivalent to a person's home. If you wouldn't go into a person's home and say things, then refrain on your blog AND in your comments.
My rule of thumb has always been, if I will say it to your face, I'll put it on my blog or in my comment. Otherwise I keep my trap shut.
My blog has never been, nor will it ever be, a political blog. I don't read political blogs. I am intensely interested in politics, but I will never talk about it on my blog. There are very few people I do talk about it with, just because people have gotten really wonky about politics.
That being said, I have to say something about this Obama address that is happening on Tuesday.
Seriously? Why is everyone freaking out? It's the standard "Welcome Back to School address."
Ronald Regan did it. (I remember hearing it) George H. Bush did it. Twice. (pushing his anti-drug campaign. I heard that one too).
Really?? Are there not more important things that we should and could be worrying about than this brouhaha that has been created of the "Stay in school speech"?
I'm not declaring my affiliation with any party here. However, I find it interesting that when the Bushes gave their speeches to children, it was OK. When Regan gave his speech to children it was OK.
Would we have had this kind of uproar if Kennedy had given a "welcome back to school speech?"
And that's all I have to say about that.
*****
Like how I cleverly put the blogging etiquette before my political post? The one and only political post I will ever make in my entire life?
It was planned. I'm like that.
*****
Just to let you know, strep throat totally blows, yo.
(I actually wrote blogs. I guess strep throat totally blogs too.)
I actually bore my testimony of on the truthfulness of Antibiotics on my facebook page. Just one more reason I'm going to hell.
*****
We had 8 break-in's in my neighborhood night before last. EIGHT! And a car stolen.
Here I thought I was living in safe, happy-ville suburbia.
One of my neighbors that got robbed put up a hilarious sign. I saw it on my way to take Thing 1 to school this morning. I went back to take a picture of it, but they had taken it down. You'll simply have to take my word for it. Maybe I can convince the neighbor to put their sign back up, so I can prove its hilariousness.
It read:
1. Free Fallin' (live) - John Mayer
2. Mothers of the Disappeared - U2
3. The Fear - Lily Allen
4. That's Not My Name - The Ting Tings
5. I Taught Myself How to Grow Old - Ryan Adams
6. Parachutes - Coldplay
7. Breathe Me - Sia
8. Flying High - Jem
9. Let Go - Frou Frou
10. Sycamore - Saint Etienne
Bonus: Truth - Amos Lee
I have been trying desperately to get myself back on a schedule. I've been doing laundry on Monday's. Washing, folding and putting it away. (did you hear the hallelujah chorus?) Bathrooms are Monday's and Fridays. Vacuum every other day. Make my bed as soon as I get up. Sadly, my bohemian self has really thrived on my new schedule.
I have also been making dinner first thing in the morning. Whatever it is, I make the entire thing, and then put it in the fridge. The only thing left to do is bake the meal. It has been super nice, and we have actually had meals other than cold cereal.
The other day, I made Ranch chicken. It makes a ton, so I made 3 pans of it and froze them all. While I was happily making my chicken, listening to talk radio (and feeling my eye twitch) I started smelling a happy, lemony smell.
Moxie took an entire bottle of comet and flung it everywhere. EVERYWHERE people. Do you know how hard it is to clean up comet, for Googles sake?
This time around, I had the presence of mind to take photos (after calling poison control and sanitizing Moxie).
*****
Want to know how big of a nerd I am? I subscribe to a magazine called Artful Blogging. I love it! I hold it, caress it, and devour every single page. There are a lot of blogs featured in there that I was reading BEFORE I ever found this magazine. I'm cool like that.
There is an article in one of the past issues that I felt was really relevant and I wanted to share a little from it. It's on Blogging Etiquette. It must be true, if its in a blogging magazine, right?
1. Do comment on a post if you found it enjoyable or moving.I have a post in my draft folder that is all about blogging etiquette. I think its time for me to dust that one off and hit publish. For some reason, the Internet makes people lose their manners. Just because you can be anonymous, and leave mean comments, doesn't mean you should.
2. Don't make comments that are irrelevant to the post or site in general. Most especially DON'T comment just to link to your own blog-- that borders on SPAM!
3. Do respond to people who leave comments on your blog, either via email or by visiting their blog.
4. Don't comment anonymously. This is considered the height of bad manners in the blog world. If you can't own your words, then keep them to yourself, or consider sending an email.
5. Do link to another blog when you mention it, especially if you are re posting content. Give credit where credit is due.
Remember, blogging is a social activity, so the same basic principals that govern any social interaction should apply. Be thoughtful. Be courteous. Be kind.
It's important to remember that a person's blog is the equivalent to a person's home. If you wouldn't go into a person's home and say things, then refrain on your blog AND in your comments.
My rule of thumb has always been, if I will say it to your face, I'll put it on my blog or in my comment. Otherwise I keep my trap shut.
What are your personal blogging rules?
*****My blog has never been, nor will it ever be, a political blog. I don't read political blogs. I am intensely interested in politics, but I will never talk about it on my blog. There are very few people I do talk about it with, just because people have gotten really wonky about politics.
That being said, I have to say something about this Obama address that is happening on Tuesday.
Seriously? Why is everyone freaking out? It's the standard "Welcome Back to School address."
Ronald Regan did it. (I remember hearing it) George H. Bush did it. Twice. (pushing his anti-drug campaign. I heard that one too).
Really?? Are there not more important things that we should and could be worrying about than this brouhaha that has been created of the "Stay in school speech"?
I'm not declaring my affiliation with any party here. However, I find it interesting that when the Bushes gave their speeches to children, it was OK. When Regan gave his speech to children it was OK.
Would we have had this kind of uproar if Kennedy had given a "welcome back to school speech?"
And that's all I have to say about that.
*****
Like how I cleverly put the blogging etiquette before my political post? The one and only political post I will ever make in my entire life?
It was planned. I'm like that.
*****
Just to let you know, strep throat totally blows, yo.
(I actually wrote blogs. I guess strep throat totally blogs too.)
I actually bore my testimony of on the truthfulness of Antibiotics on my facebook page. Just one more reason I'm going to hell.
*****
We had 8 break-in's in my neighborhood night before last. EIGHT! And a car stolen.
Here I thought I was living in safe, happy-ville suburbia.
One of my neighbors that got robbed put up a hilarious sign. I saw it on my way to take Thing 1 to school this morning. I went back to take a picture of it, but they had taken it down. You'll simply have to take my word for it. Maybe I can convince the neighbor to put their sign back up, so I can prove its hilariousness.
It read:
Dear Robbers,
Next time just ask. I've got more ammo.
Stupid robbers.
*****
I seriously love NPR and PRI. I LOVE IT! I told this to someone recently, and they told me "then you're a liberal."
Really? I'm a liberal because I like to listen to NPR and PRI? That's totally dumb.
I just like the radio shows... Prairie Home Companion, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, Fresh Aire, This American Life, All Songs Considered . . .
I'm seriously addicted to their pod-casts. That's what I prefer to listen to while I do yard work. Pod-casts. And that makes me a liberal?
Psffftt!
*****
*****
I seriously love NPR and PRI. I LOVE IT! I told this to someone recently, and they told me "then you're a liberal."
Really? I'm a liberal because I like to listen to NPR and PRI? That's totally dumb.
I just like the radio shows... Prairie Home Companion, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, Fresh Aire, This American Life, All Songs Considered . . .
I'm seriously addicted to their pod-casts. That's what I prefer to listen to while I do yard work. Pod-casts. And that makes me a liberal?
Psffftt!
*****
Have a happy holiday weekend! We're going to listen to Prairie Home Companion's Broadcast from the Minnesota State Fair (our Saturday night ritual) and eat Burgers.
Heaven in my world.
Heaven in my world.
Catch ya on the flip side!
1. Free Fallin' (live) - John Mayer
2. Mothers of the Disappeared - U2
3. The Fear - Lily Allen
4. That's Not My Name - The Ting Tings
5. I Taught Myself How to Grow Old - Ryan Adams
6. Parachutes - Coldplay
7. Breathe Me - Sia
8. Flying High - Jem
9. Let Go - Frou Frou
10. Sycamore - Saint Etienne
Bonus: Truth - Amos Lee


















