Random randomness and then some tunes
Friday, September 11, 2009
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. - Carl Jung (1875 - 1961)
I actually really believe that saying up there. When I find myself being especially critical of others, I realize its time for me to take a step back and evaluate me. Usually what I'm being critical about in other people is actually something that I hate about me.
We all do it, criticize other people, but have you stopped to evaluate WHY you do it? It's not out of "the goodness of your heart". No. It's usually because it is a quality that you consciously or subconsciously hate in yourself.
I have been the lucky receiver of some highly critical emails lately. Scathing would be a better description. While the emails at first cut me deeply, I took a step back and did a little self evaluation. I felt like where I stood was firm and solid. I wasn't pointing fingers or saying mean hurtful things to anyone.
When I ran across this quote, I realized that maybe what these people were saying to me and about me that was so hurtful and mean was really a long discourse about how they really felt about themselves.
Food for thought.
*****
Have you ever sent an email, where you've born your soul about something deeply personal only to realize that after you hit send, you sent it to not only the wrong person but the wrong person who will now tell the entire universe the contents of said email?
Yeah. Me too.
Totally sucks.
*****
I have been enjoying being back on a schedule. Which makes the bohemian in me convulse violently. I was asked if I really do clean my bathrooms twice a week. Yes. I do. Usually. I can stand a lot of things, but a dirty bathroom is not one of those things.
I have actually been cleaning my house, pretending that I am moving. Have you ever done that? It's quite an interesting experiment. Look at your house critically, like you were thinking about buying it. It totally changes the way you clean, and put stuff away.
Yeah, I'm tricking myself. Pretending that someone will be looking in my linen closet, or rubbing their fingers across my blinds... but I do want to move. Maybe it will be putting good vibrations out into the universe and the universe will comply.
I'm putting the law of attraction to the test. Let's see if it works.
*****
I hate text speak. HATE IT. Mostly because teenagers don't know the real meaning of the acronyms.
WTF does not mean what the fetch.
OMG does not mean oh my gosh.
It is disgusting to me to see cute teenagers using this kind of language. I called some on it recently and their excuse was "that's not what were meaning." Well, my dears. It matters not what YOU were meaning it to be, it matters what the rest of the world interprets it to be. They don't interpret OMG as oh my gosh or WTF as what the fetch. Its crude and disgusting and you shouldn't be typing it.
I think, honestly, they are living a bubble. In their Mormon world it probably does mean that, but to the rest of the Non-Mormon world it doesn't. How do you get these kids to understand that?
*****
I say the word actually a lot.
A LOT.
Actually.
*****
Remember that photo I took of Moxie sitting on the printer like it was her chair? I had to move the printer so she could just sit on the shelf because she was going to break it. Then Jefe bought me a new printer with a scanner/copier.
Oh my word.
I have been in scanning heaven. I have tons of old photos I have been scanning onto the computer. Let me tell you I have Throwback Thursday posts now. I am totally stoked about it.
Throwback Thursday's were something I did a year or two back that helped me document my life story with photos... my history. I wanted to write my life history for my kids and this was the best way to do it.
I promise you will want to mock.
*****
I have been putting together some Bucket Fillers. I had the bucket tossed to me a year ago and I loved doing it. I did it a total of three times last year. It was good for me because it kept me grounded and I felt really good about myself and my life. When it's all said and done, Life really is about filling our bucket... one drop at a time.
I did it for a while on my own, but that's boring. So I have decided that while that bucket is still being tossed around the Internets, I am going to start up my own again.
I'm trying to come up with a title of the post so that you will know immediately what it is. I will never put anything else in the Bucket Filler post, just what you are supposed to work on that day. I don't necessarily want to use "Bucket Filler as the title. Although I'm not opposed to it either, I just thought something new was in order... That's where you come in. I need suggestions. If I choose to use your title you'll win something. Like warm fuzzy foo-foo feelings. Or something else. Maybe.
Look for this to start on Monday.
*****
I have a September 11th post in draft that I need to edit for today. This day always makes me cry. I remember every single detail of what I was doing eight years ago. We were in Chicago and lived near a nuclear plant. I was terrified they would either drop a plane in Chicago (which I think was one of the plans), or hit our energy plant.
I watched The Today show as they showed the first plane hitting the towers. I thought they were showing a clip for a movie. Then they played it again. It was 8:02 in the morning in Chicago. I remember that. I had 10 minutes before I had leave to take Thing 1 to first grade. I watched, LIVE, as the second plane hit the towers.
I remember Jefe coming home from work early. Thing 1 spent the night coloring, making a calendar. When she showed us what she made, I started sobbing. June had a picture of me. February had a heart and Jefe. December had a Christmas tree and September had a flag with the words "The War".
As horrific as the next few days were, there was something different about our country. For the first time in my life, we were united together. There was no more partisanship in our country. We all came together and it was an incredible feeling.
I just knew, eight years ago, that we would never become a divided country again. I knew that this horrible, tragic event was what it had taken to finally unite our country. It was a wonderful feeling. The feeling of a united country.
I miss that. Isn't that a weird thing to say that you miss something from 9/11? But I do. How quickly we have forgotten what it is like or how important it is to be United.
*****
Well that's it folks. I see football games in my future. That and yard work. Lots and lots of yard work. Once I get that done, I think I'll update the music player on my blog. It's time to give it an overhaul. I'll let you know what I get that done too. I was told recently that I have good taste in music. Thank you. thankyouverymuch!
1. The Birds Near Her House - The Lounge Lizards
2. Slow Dancing in a Burning Room(live) - John Mayer
3. Hug My Soul - Saint Etienne
4. Night Train - Amos Lee
5. If You Leave - OMD
6. Filthy/Gorgeous - Scissor Sisters
7. Some Devil (live) - Dave Matthews Band
8. All The Small Things - Blink 182
9. Sunday - Sia
10. They - Jem
Bonus: The Way I Am - Ingrid Michaelson
I actually really believe that saying up there. When I find myself being especially critical of others, I realize its time for me to take a step back and evaluate me. Usually what I'm being critical about in other people is actually something that I hate about me.
We all do it, criticize other people, but have you stopped to evaluate WHY you do it? It's not out of "the goodness of your heart". No. It's usually because it is a quality that you consciously or subconsciously hate in yourself.
I have been the lucky receiver of some highly critical emails lately. Scathing would be a better description. While the emails at first cut me deeply, I took a step back and did a little self evaluation. I felt like where I stood was firm and solid. I wasn't pointing fingers or saying mean hurtful things to anyone.
When I ran across this quote, I realized that maybe what these people were saying to me and about me that was so hurtful and mean was really a long discourse about how they really felt about themselves.
Food for thought.
*****
Have you ever sent an email, where you've born your soul about something deeply personal only to realize that after you hit send, you sent it to not only the wrong person but the wrong person who will now tell the entire universe the contents of said email?
Yeah. Me too.
Totally sucks.
*****
I have been enjoying being back on a schedule. Which makes the bohemian in me convulse violently. I was asked if I really do clean my bathrooms twice a week. Yes. I do. Usually. I can stand a lot of things, but a dirty bathroom is not one of those things.
I have actually been cleaning my house, pretending that I am moving. Have you ever done that? It's quite an interesting experiment. Look at your house critically, like you were thinking about buying it. It totally changes the way you clean, and put stuff away.
Yeah, I'm tricking myself. Pretending that someone will be looking in my linen closet, or rubbing their fingers across my blinds... but I do want to move. Maybe it will be putting good vibrations out into the universe and the universe will comply.
I'm putting the law of attraction to the test. Let's see if it works.
*****
I hate text speak. HATE IT. Mostly because teenagers don't know the real meaning of the acronyms.
WTF does not mean what the fetch.
OMG does not mean oh my gosh.
It is disgusting to me to see cute teenagers using this kind of language. I called some on it recently and their excuse was "that's not what were meaning." Well, my dears. It matters not what YOU were meaning it to be, it matters what the rest of the world interprets it to be. They don't interpret OMG as oh my gosh or WTF as what the fetch. Its crude and disgusting and you shouldn't be typing it.
I think, honestly, they are living a bubble. In their Mormon world it probably does mean that, but to the rest of the Non-Mormon world it doesn't. How do you get these kids to understand that?
*****
I say the word actually a lot.
A LOT.
Actually.
*****
Remember that photo I took of Moxie sitting on the printer like it was her chair? I had to move the printer so she could just sit on the shelf because she was going to break it. Then Jefe bought me a new printer with a scanner/copier.
Oh my word.
I have been in scanning heaven. I have tons of old photos I have been scanning onto the computer. Let me tell you I have Throwback Thursday posts now. I am totally stoked about it.
Throwback Thursday's were something I did a year or two back that helped me document my life story with photos... my history. I wanted to write my life history for my kids and this was the best way to do it.
I promise you will want to mock.
*****
I have been putting together some Bucket Fillers. I had the bucket tossed to me a year ago and I loved doing it. I did it a total of three times last year. It was good for me because it kept me grounded and I felt really good about myself and my life. When it's all said and done, Life really is about filling our bucket... one drop at a time. I did it for a while on my own, but that's boring. So I have decided that while that bucket is still being tossed around the Internets, I am going to start up my own again.
I'm trying to come up with a title of the post so that you will know immediately what it is. I will never put anything else in the Bucket Filler post, just what you are supposed to work on that day. I don't necessarily want to use "Bucket Filler as the title. Although I'm not opposed to it either, I just thought something new was in order... That's where you come in. I need suggestions. If I choose to use your title you'll win something. Like warm fuzzy foo-foo feelings. Or something else. Maybe.
Look for this to start on Monday.
*****
I have a September 11th post in draft that I need to edit for today. This day always makes me cry. I remember every single detail of what I was doing eight years ago. We were in Chicago and lived near a nuclear plant. I was terrified they would either drop a plane in Chicago (which I think was one of the plans), or hit our energy plant.
I watched The Today show as they showed the first plane hitting the towers. I thought they were showing a clip for a movie. Then they played it again. It was 8:02 in the morning in Chicago. I remember that. I had 10 minutes before I had leave to take Thing 1 to first grade. I watched, LIVE, as the second plane hit the towers.
I remember Jefe coming home from work early. Thing 1 spent the night coloring, making a calendar. When she showed us what she made, I started sobbing. June had a picture of me. February had a heart and Jefe. December had a Christmas tree and September had a flag with the words "The War".
As horrific as the next few days were, there was something different about our country. For the first time in my life, we were united together. There was no more partisanship in our country. We all came together and it was an incredible feeling.
I just knew, eight years ago, that we would never become a divided country again. I knew that this horrible, tragic event was what it had taken to finally unite our country. It was a wonderful feeling. The feeling of a united country.
I miss that. Isn't that a weird thing to say that you miss something from 9/11? But I do. How quickly we have forgotten what it is like or how important it is to be United.
*****
Well that's it folks. I see football games in my future. That and yard work. Lots and lots of yard work. Once I get that done, I think I'll update the music player on my blog. It's time to give it an overhaul. I'll let you know what I get that done too. I was told recently that I have good taste in music. Thank you. thankyouverymuch!
Catch ya on the flip side!
1. The Birds Near Her House - The Lounge Lizards
2. Slow Dancing in a Burning Room(live) - John Mayer
3. Hug My Soul - Saint Etienne
4. Night Train - Amos Lee
5. If You Leave - OMD
6. Filthy/Gorgeous - Scissor Sisters
7. Some Devil (live) - Dave Matthews Band
8. All The Small Things - Blink 182
9. Sunday - Sia
10. They - Jem
Bonus: The Way I Am - Ingrid Michaelson

















