Throwback Thursday
Thursday, May 22, 2008
I have been looking for a particular set of photos for Throwback Thursday today... but have not been able to locate them. My brain is tired from trying to remember where I saw them, ( i have been in the process of putting all of these photos into proper storage thingers) but no such luck yet. They are from my mission, and I really hope that I didn't loose them. I will be so sad. One of the photos in question, has been enlarged to a ridiculous size and is hanging on the wall of the missionary department at my churches headquarters. I was/am flattered... but how retarded will I look if I have to go down there and take a photo of Me?
Anyway.
Here were are... a more 'recent' Throwback Thursday. These photos are from my mission. (I served in the Washington, Spokane Mission from 1992-1994) For all my friends who are not of my faith, a mission is a voluntary thing that people can do. You pay your own way, and the boys go for 2 years and the girls go for 18 months (I actually served 19 months). The girls have to be 21 years old to be eligible to go, and the boys are 19 when they go. You do not get to pick where you go; you are assigned, and you go and teach people about Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ and render service where you can. It was a great time in my life! I had a wonderful time, and it was a lot of hard work. I never understood that scripture that says work with all your heart might mind and strength until I came home. I was pooped! I just wanted to sleep all the time. It truly was the best thing I had ever done! I do not regret it one bit, and I find myself reflecting on experiences I had there almost daily. It really did change my life, how I view life and how I choose to live my life.
Zone conference Coeur d'Alene ID. 1993
Coeur d'Alene is such a beautiful town... the missionaries used to refer to it as God's Country! I would SO move there in a heart beat... It is right in the midst of logging country, so I thought I had died and gone to heaven. My area was about the distance (for you Utahans) of Logan to Spanish Fork, and from Tooele to Heber City. (In reality, it was actually bigger, but I don't know any other towns down south). It was GIGANTIC! We had 3 wards to cover... and thats really not that important, except that it took us hours to get to each area. We basically lived out of our suitcases and car, traveling to each area, hoping that we could find a place to sleep. It was stressful, but awesome!

sigh.
These are beautiful cars when restored. And come hell or high water, I am going to get me one!
This was my 2nd to last area. These horses are HUGE, and my companion had to hoist me up onto them. I wish I would have gotten a photo of me standing next to them so you could see just how enormous they are. We lived in a town (Royal City, WA) that had a post office, a gas station, a small grocery store and a restaurant with a giant mustard bottle out front. That was it. My call was changed to spanish speaking from this time on. It was H.A.R.D. There is no way around it. I learned how to not only speak a foreign language (pretty bad too) but, I had to 100% rely on the Lord here. There was no scooting by on my own merits. It was his deal, his game. I was just the messenger. I really liked this area, except for our days off. There was nothing to do. Thats why I have a photo of this weird horse statute. We got pretty bored on our days off. We usually would end up hanging out with our spanish investigators and practicing our 'skillz'. Cause, everyone knows that guys dig girls with skillz!
Anyway.
Here were are... a more 'recent' Throwback Thursday. These photos are from my mission. (I served in the Washington, Spokane Mission from 1992-1994) For all my friends who are not of my faith, a mission is a voluntary thing that people can do. You pay your own way, and the boys go for 2 years and the girls go for 18 months (I actually served 19 months). The girls have to be 21 years old to be eligible to go, and the boys are 19 when they go. You do not get to pick where you go; you are assigned, and you go and teach people about Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ and render service where you can. It was a great time in my life! I had a wonderful time, and it was a lot of hard work. I never understood that scripture that says work with all your heart might mind and strength until I came home. I was pooped! I just wanted to sleep all the time. It truly was the best thing I had ever done! I do not regret it one bit, and I find myself reflecting on experiences I had there almost daily. It really did change my life, how I view life and how I choose to live my life.
Zone conference Coeur d'Alene ID. 1993Coeur d'Alene is such a beautiful town... the missionaries used to refer to it as God's Country! I would SO move there in a heart beat... It is right in the midst of logging country, so I thought I had died and gone to heaven. My area was about the distance (for you Utahans) of Logan to Spanish Fork, and from Tooele to Heber City. (In reality, it was actually bigger, but I don't know any other towns down south). It was GIGANTIC! We had 3 wards to cover... and thats really not that important, except that it took us hours to get to each area. We basically lived out of our suitcases and car, traveling to each area, hoping that we could find a place to sleep. It was stressful, but awesome!

Peck Idaho 1992
This car is my DREAM car. We were tracting in Peck (their town slogan is "Where the heck is Peck?!") and I saw 2 of these cars abandoned in a field. Naturally we went to talk with the farmer whose field they were in. He told us they had been there for years and if we wanted them, we just had to haul them away. Do you know what restraint I had to exercise to not haul them away with my puny little body right then??! More than I have now, I'll tell you that right now! Every time we would go to this town, I had to drive by "my" cars... just to make sure they were still there. I have often wondered if they would still be there, and if that farmer would still let me have them!sigh.
These are beautiful cars when restored. And come hell or high water, I am going to get me one!
This was my 2nd to last area. These horses are HUGE, and my companion had to hoist me up onto them. I wish I would have gotten a photo of me standing next to them so you could see just how enormous they are. We lived in a town (Royal City, WA) that had a post office, a gas station, a small grocery store and a restaurant with a giant mustard bottle out front. That was it. My call was changed to spanish speaking from this time on. It was H.A.R.D. There is no way around it. I learned how to not only speak a foreign language (pretty bad too) but, I had to 100% rely on the Lord here. There was no scooting by on my own merits. It was his deal, his game. I was just the messenger. I really liked this area, except for our days off. There was nothing to do. Thats why I have a photo of this weird horse statute. We got pretty bored on our days off. We usually would end up hanging out with our spanish investigators and practicing our 'skillz'. Cause, everyone knows that guys dig girls with skillz!

















