Lost & Found

Friday, May 16, 2008

Raise your hand if hanging out at a PTA convention sounds boring.
Yeah.
I thought so.
I spent all day yesterday on the campus of BYU attending a statewide PTA convention. This is the 1st time I have been involved with this organization, and I think I went a little overboard-- I am on the board of not only the Elementary school, but the board of the Junior High school as well.
I know. I know.

My main reason for going? Well the food of course. We got to eat all sorts of great food-- on someone else's dime. Why would I not go? I would be bored yes... but bored on a very full, happy stomach!

Imagine my complete surprise when I ran into Jenny. I have known her pretty much my entire life. She lived, for a time, next door to my Uncle & Aunt, and we would play together when I would go to visit. We had were in the same 3rd grade class but 7th grade was when we became best friends. We both played the flute in the band, and we rode the ski bus together. I had never been skiing, and my parents *MADE* me ride the bus every Saturday to go skiing (yes. i know. poor picked on me!). I was such a shy kid, and I knew no one that was riding that bus except for Jenny. She took me under her wing, and was quite literally my savior that year. I was having such a difficult time with friends, making them, keeping them, and Jenny quite literally saved me from it all. We went skiing together for years.(every Saturday from 7th through 10th grades). I have so many memories that involve her. From getting dropped off at various concerts-- Howard Jones, Chicago...
yes.
DROPPED OFF.
Can you imagine now doing such a thing? I know. We went to many a concert together, and swam together, and chased silly, stupid boys together.
Her grandma lived around the corner from me, and we would hang out every time she came to see her grandma. She spent many a day at my home, she was like another sister in our home. We were best friends all through Junior High School and our Sophomore year in high school. We were always there for each other, and good friends--- we just started getting involved in different things. But, I always thought of her as my best friend, even though we had other friends. Make sense? I always knew that she was there for me... whenever I needed her, and vice versa.

The second time she saved me was after we graduated from high school, and she *MADE* me go to the singles ward with her. She actually came to my house, got me out of bed and waited while I got dressed to go to church with her. She did that for several weeks until I could drag my lazy butt there on my own. She saved me from myself again. And I feel so grateful for her impact in my life.

After she got married, and I went on my mission, we lost touch. I would often think about her, and even a few times tried to Google her. I had really wanted to re-connect... but was at a loss as to how to find her.

Well.
I found her at the PTA convention. We sat and visited (much to the annoyance, i am sure of the other class attendees) and laughed, giggled and caught up on the last 15 years!! I am thrilled that I found her again!! I hope that we can re-connect and stay in touch this time. She was such an important part of my childhood, it would be nice to have a friend in my life that knows me, and will accept me... flaws and all.

We were both lost. But now we're found.
(And that was cheesy).


  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes