Throwback Thursday

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

This is my Grandma... my Dad's mom. She died while I was on my mission, and it was really difficult for me. Right before she died, she sort of lost her mind a little bit. She would call my sister, islandmom, Trixie and I was Felicia. We thought that was hysterical... and my sister called me that for YEARS... sometimes still does. We would refer to those names as our "lady of the night names"... that is until my Dad informed us that those 2 names were the names of his horses.
Uhh. Ok?!
My Grandpa, My Dad's Dad. He had the greatest sense of humor. He would always tell me that he took Hay to bed with him. Every night. Then I was supposed to ask why, and he would say "why to feed my Charlie horses and your grandma's night mares." He wrote poems, and riddles and jokes. Recently, one year for Christmas, my Dad had all of Grandpa's writings typed and put into book form. I read it from cover to cover in 1 day. It is my treasure. At his funeral, my Dad told all of his favorite poems that Grandpa had written. He was always cold, so he would wear these wool long sleeved shirts and hide under his afghan. Even in the middle of the 100 degree summers.
My Grandpa died my senior year in high school, on Halloween. We all thought that was fitting because he was such a prankster. My Grandma had fallen 2 days before and broke her hip... and Grandpa died 2 days later... I really think he thought my Grandma had died, and died of a broken heart. I remember staying with him the night before he died until my Dad could get there. He slept a lot, and kept waking up to ask if my Dad was there yet. I really think he was waiting for him. He would smile and pat my hand and tell me he loved me and my Dad very much, then go back to sleep.

Right before my Grandma died, my Dad was video taping everyone to send to me on my mission... he had her say something and she quoted this particular hymn. My Dad says that he took her to church, and she would mostly sleep, but then again before she died, she wanted to bear her testimony. My Dad wheeled her up, and again, she quoted this particular hymn. Needless to say, it is one of my favorites.

Hymn # 240 Know This That Every Soul Is Free
Know this, that every soul is free
To choose his life, and what he'll be;
For this eternal truth is giv'n
That God will force no man to heav'n

He'll call persuade, direct aright,
And bless with wisdom, love and light,
In nameless ways be good and kind,
But never force the human mind.

Freedom and reason make us men;
Take these away, what are we then?
Mere animals, and just as well
The beasts may think of heav'n or hell.

May we no more our pow'rs abuse,
But ways of truth and goodness choose;
Our God is pleased when we improve
His grace and seek his perfect love.

These are my cousins. I am the one in the peach... the man in the middle is my cousin. Yes. We are THAT kind of family. My Dad was in contact with ALL of his cousins, and we knew their names too.
Anyway.
When I was little (read:2-3 years old) I thought this guy looked like Heavenly Father. I dunno why. But I did. So I would ask to go see Heavenly Father all the time. I think it worried my parents. Then at a family reunion, or some such thing, I saw him, ran up, gave him a big hug and said "Heavenly Father, where HAVE you been?"
From that day on, he was always My Heavenly Father.


  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes