Random Randomness and Then Some Tunes
Friday, June 14, 2013
Summer is upon us here in Crazyland and we are embracing it like an old worn coat.The children are settling nicely into the routine of sleeping in late, which is delightful for me. I'm up hours before their little bodies start stirring. I've worked my shift for work, done a couple loads of laundry, loaded the dishwasher and sat on my porch watching the sun peak her nose over my mountains, gracing me with her warmth.
I love this time of year and all the bright cheery heat that it brings with it. When people are complaining that its too hot, I'm grinning and sunning myself like a fat old cat. I love the heat. I love the late, bright nights. I love the freedom and Gypsy life that the warmth brings to my life. It fits me. It fits me well.
If I could live anywhere in the world I would choose a place where we have one season: warm. All the other seasons are nice places to visit, but I want my home to be cozy warm. Year Round.
***
My favorite guilty pleasure right now is Zupa's Pina Colada Salad and Enchilada Soup. I could seriously eat there every day.
And, I did. Last week.
It's a little rough on the pocket book and so I have been on a quest to find the perfect imitation recipe and I think I may have found her. It seriously is a wonderful little salad that is light, refreshing and yet filling as well.
Pina Colada Salad
3 romaine lettuce hearts, chopped
2 large cans mandarin oranges, drained
1 large can pineapple tidbits, drained
1 red onion, diced
1 1/2 cups tortilla strips
3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
3-4 chicken breasts, cooked, cooled & cubed
toasted coconut, optional
Toss all of the ingredients together in a large bowl or layer on a platter. Serve with Pina Colada Vinaigrette dressing.
PINA COLADA VINAIGRETTE
1/2 cup plus 2 TBSP sugar
1/3 cup mr. & mrs. T's pina colada drink mix
1/3 cup rice or apple cider vinegar- rice will make it more mild or
apple cider will make it stronger tasting
1/2 tsp. ginger powder
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cup vegetable oil
In a blender combine all ingredients except the oil. Blend well until light & frothy. With the blender still on, slowly add oil in a steady stream. Keep blending until the dressing is emulsified & thickened.
***
My kids decided to have a bake sale yesterday. They spent all morning in the kitchen while I was working creating their perfect master piece to then go outside and sell on the corner. They brought me a sample to taste and as I examined it I asked what it was. There response? Smore's on the Go.
Right?
I asked them where they got the recipe and they told me they made it up. Everyone likes smores, so they wanted to make some that you could grab from the freezer to eat ... on the go.
They had taken marshmallows, melted them and spread them on graham crackers. Then they melted chocolate chips -- except all we had was white chocolate chips and mint chocolate chips -- and drizzled that all over the cracker mixture.
Mint Chocolate chips used as a "smore" is not good, peeps. I'm just sayin'. Don't try it.
Maybe if they had used regular chocolate chips it would have tasted better. But I seriously gagged as I choked that "treat" down. I smiled, gave them a thumbs up and sent them out to the corner to sell their magic treats while I spit them out in garbage.
My kids. The consummate entrepreneurs. Every summer we go down this road, them brain storming various ways to make it rich.
Yesterday's earning? $1.50. From me.
Time to hit the drawing board again, girls.
***
That's all she wrote, peeps.
Catch ya on the flip side!
1.Feel It All Around - Washed Out
2. She Will Be Loved (acoustic) - Maroon 5
3. Stay (Live Wrigley Field) - Dave Matthews Band
4. Mother We Just Can't Get Enough - New Radicals
5.All Summer Long - Kid Rock
6. Ho Hey - Lumineers
7. If I Ain't Got You (Unplugged) - Alicia Keyes
8. Come Home - Ryan Adams
9. Steady As We Go (Live from Red Rocks) - Dave Matthews Band
10. I Will Follow (Live) - U2
Bonus: I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (Live from Milan) - U2



















