Thursday, August 17, 2006

Happy Birthday Jonathan Franzen. He is the author of "The Corrections" Its about a family falling apart. He had worked on this book for 5 years... While his marriage fell apart, his father died, and he quit smoking. At the end of it, he still didn't know what the heck his book was about. When his good friend got his book published, it was the kick he needed... So, he threw everything out, except 1 chapter about a family on a cruise ship. He finished the rest of the book in less than 1 year. His book was later chosen to be an Oprah bookclub selection. Here is where I think this author shot himself in the foot.
When the most powerful woman in the world picks your book, says she loves it, wants it for her INTERNATIONAL bookclub, and wants you to come on the show...
Do not tell her No, and further do not tell her that you don't want your book to be in her bookclub.
Yup.
He did that.
He didn't want people reading the book because Oprah had it in her bookclub. Or because he was on her show. Or because... Who the heck knows.
WHAT. A. FOOL.
He got more bad publicity from that stunt, than he ever would've gotten from going on the show. I never would've found the book if Oprah hadn't picked it for her show. I tend to read pretty much everything she has picked.
Some of the stuff I love... Some of it I despise.
That's reading.
Anyway...
I still haven't read the book.
I guess I need to. Just so that I can have an educated opinion regarding the book.

BTW...
Anonymous Sister in law is moving, and I get to go shopping for books in her bookcase. I am SO excited I can not even stand it.
I love love love books.


  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes