Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Is it really THAT time of year again?
In 24 hours, my big Things will be back in school again.
I thought that I was totally ready for them to be back in school...
But, reality is this: I miss them when they are gone. I feel like I hardly see them when school is in, and further, like I rarely get to talk with them. It's like pulling teeth to get them to tell me all about their day. When I drove them to school in Illinois, and they were both at different schools, it was easier for me to feel apart of their days. I would have Thing 1 for 30 minutes before Thing 2 got out of school. Then it was a 15 minute drive home. They were more willing to "download" their day to me while we were driving home. I have found that by them riding the bus, they are unwound from the days events and are DONE thinking about school. I actually miss not being able to drive them to and from school.
I know.
Weird.
We had a great tradition of reciting the articles of faith on the way to school. We had memorized almost all of them... Then we would sing our "motto" song while we were waiting our turn to unload -- I Belong to the Church of Jesus Christ-- because I thought if that were the last song that went through their head before they got out the door... It would run through their head all day and help them make good choices. I don't know if it worked, but it made me feel better.
I miss doing that.
I miss them.
They want nothing to do with Mother driving them to school... Thing 2 will actually cry if he doesn't get to ride the bus.
I find them pulling more and more towards their friends. I know that is the way its supposed to be, but it makes me sad. I love my children. I love to see them play. I love to hear them laugh. I love watching them think.
So, my kids are excited today. I remember those butterflies... Excited butterflies. They are excited for the next adventure to begin. Thing 1 has been planning what she will wear with her friends. They are excited, happy kids.
As it should be.

Me on the other hand... Well, I feel a little sad today.
Its the last day that I get to have them ALL to myself.


  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes