First day of school + 3 kids gone = a happy dance and then a giant cry baby

Monday, August 24, 2009

**This is pulled from the archives, with a little editing thrown in for good measure. I'm trying to get my For Strength of Youth dealio done, kids ready and off to school and grow a new brain. This post describes perfectly how I feel. **

When school starts, I find myself sort of schizophrenic. I am more than ready for the kids to go back to school... but in the same instant my heart hurts because its just one more step that they are taking away from me.

I holler out to them often (much to their horror) "Why you want to leave me?" (name that movie)
I am selfish.
I admit it.
I want them to stay with me forever.... I just want them to never fight, do what I tell them immediately, hold hands and sing Kumbaya.
Really.
Is that asking too much?

Thing 3 is in first grade, and off at school all day long. My little buddy, my constant companion.
She is my little shadow. She likes to try and finish my sentences... and is constantly correcting me on my Mothering skills with Moxie. Oh how Thing 3 loves Moxie. Moxie will miss her when she is gone all day. I will miss her when she is gone all day.

There will be no one to follow me around, chatting my ear off. No more will there be someone begging me to let her help me clean. From here on out, I will only know about her day what she chooses to tell me.

That hurts my heart.


Thing 2 is in 5th grade. You know that song, Slipping Through My Fingers?
(I did that Soundtrack Sunday post on it a while back...)

With each passing year, Thing 2 is pulling further and further away. And, that is as it should be. He is following the circle of life... He no longer wants to hold my hand and skip to class. No more will he let me kiss him goodbye.
It's healthy. It's normal. It's right.

It doesn't mean I have to like it though.

I miss my little buddy when he's gone too. He is the first one up in the mornings. Jumping on my bed to hug me, and then begging to hold Moxie.
He is my helper.
My peacemaker.
My friend.
I miss him when he is gone.

Thing 1 is in 9th grade now. THAT song really mimics our life now. She is a wonderful daughter. She is kind, and thoughtful. She has a wonderful sense of humor!
I miss her when she is off at school. I watch the clock-- wondering how her 1st class is... and her 3rd class... and her 5th class... Was the math teacher nice or mean?

All too soon this not so little girl of mine will be heading out the door for good.
And that really hurts my heart.

I understand that my job is to grow children, but it just seems that these beautiful children that God has blessed me with are going about this growing business much to quickly.


Thank heavens Moxie is still around. How can you not feel happy when you are greeted with that wide mouth grin? Even if she does throw food at people, and try to escape out of high-chairs only to get stuck. She makes this first day of school... doable.




  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes