Random randomness and then some tunes
Friday, January 30, 2009
There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes. - Dr. Who
I've had some emails again from people asking me what the heck this Random 10 Friday is all about. It started 3.5 years ago when I first started blogging. I read this hilarious blog of a Wisconsin college girl, and every Friday she would post the first 10 songs that came up randomly on her i-pod. I found some excellent music that way... and I was new at the whole blogging thing, so I copied her. At first my random 10 Friday post was just that-- my ten random songs. Then, it sort of evolved into what it is today-- my random thoughts from the week (that I collect in draft all week) and then the first 10 songs that come up on my play list. It is actually my favorite thing I blog. I have consistently blogged the Random 10 Friday for 3 years now... and my music tastes are still the same. I need to spice it up a bit.
I really like going to various blogs and listening to their play lists. I have a piece of paper that I write the tunes that I like down on, while I'm surfing. Then I download the new stuff I find. THIS gal always has great tunes!
******************************************************************
Yesterday, I got the hair brained idea to clean out the rat's nest of wires that are under my computer desk. It is embarrassing how nasty that was. My sister came to help me once with some computer stuff, and about died when she the tangled mess of wires.
I bundled up all the wires, and made sure that everything was going where it needed to be-- found some wires that went to nothing, and got them out of there. Once I was done all cleaning and organizing, I went to sit down at my clean, organized desk and blog. Only the computer wouldn't turn on. And the laptop couldn't find any Internet connection. Great. I broke not only the desktop computer, but the modem for the Internet too.
It was a long day. By the end of it, I was sort of desperate. Jefe came home to fix my mess, and came out of the office laughing. He said "Seriously? Let me teach you something. See that button right there on the power cord? When its pointing this way, its off. When its pointing this way its on.
On. Off.
On. Off.
Off.
Now its On.
See how that works?!"
Then he proceeded to mock me all night long. Apparently I had just turned off the power cord and forgot to turn it back on.
Yes. I am a ditz. So??
I have a "whatever" kind of attitude. I speak my mind. I think that some people actually hate that about me, but oh well. If I have an opinion I am more than happy to share it-- and it's no skin off my nose if you don't think the same way.
My best friends are all like that. We speak our minds, we know exactly where we stand with each other and there is no "reading between the lines". I actually really like that. I want people around me that are willing to tell me what they really think, but don't feel the need to try and convince me that my opinion is wrong, and theirs is right. I try really hard to not do that to others. I am more than willing to look at all sides of things, and if I am wrong, I will admit it.
I really want my daughter to be unafraid to say what she thinks... and trust me, so far she has no problem telling me and Jefe what she thinks. But, she hasn't quite been able to master the "whatever" attitude. By that, I mean the "I have thoughts, and feelings, and WORTH, and I don't care what anyone else thinks about me." I want her to gain that kind of confidence. The question is HOW. How do you do that? How do you give that gift to your children? Does it just come with life experience? I hope not. I want it to be there before she hits the dreaded dating age.
Sometimes I find myself thinking that herding cats would be easier than trying to be a parent.
Every time I get in the car I fight a battle. It feels like it is more of a loosing battle than anything. For some reason, when that car starts, all I can think about is going through the drive through for a diet coke and fries. It doesn't matter the time of day. I actually find myself arguing with my self about getting the junk, driving into the drive through-- gaining my self control for just that moment to then drive out the exit. It's a hefty battle. I love my soda. I love french fries. This morning I compromised... I just got the soda from 7-11, and I skipped the donuts AND fries.
Maybe there is hope yet.
I'm still painting. I did all the easy rooms first. The kitchen has yet to be done. It had the most dings in the walls, and the most taping to be done. So, I just have skipped it completely. I did last night start painting the desk area in the kitchen. I had left over red paint-- so I just threw that up there. Now I have to finish that room-- its got 1 red section and then the gold color randomly painted all over. I have really enjoyed all of this painting.
Sometimes while I am painting, I turn the radio on, put Moxie in her jumper and sing away to her. She thinks its hilarious and will alternate between squealing with delight or singing along with me! Other times, when I can get Moxie to sleep, I will keep the music off and just be with my thoughts.
This painting has been cleansing for me. I had been living in a silent protest -- which, if you ask Jefe, was not so silent at all. I was angry about moving away from Chicago. I absolutely loved it there. Ever since I was a young girl, I wanted to live there. I just knew I would find fame fortune and happiness. I found the latter there, that is for sure. I was happy in Chicago. I found myself and it really felt like it was my home.
When Jefe got this job out here-- to say I was devastated would be an understatement. I know that this will hurt my family to know this-- it wasn't that I didn't want to live by them-- it was that I was in a really good place with ME. I found ME in Chicago-- and it hurt to have to leave there and try to start all over again.
I refused to pack. I did not pack one box. I thought maybe if I didn't help, it wouldn't happen. But, Jefe made it happen. When we got here, I refused to help unpack. I refused to hang up the pictures. I refused to decorate. I have been a great big stinker. He has been very patient with me as I have held my own form of a not- so- silent- protest. He is a good man, and deserves saint-hood.
This painting has been cleansing. My children come home from school and are excited to see what new walls have been painted. Thing 2 described it to the neighbor as being "homey". My children have thrived with the move. My not-so-silent-protest is over. It pains me even more to have to admit that to Jefe-- and to admit that he was right. It was a good decision. (I hate it when he's right!) I've even decided to go get a stupid Utah drivers license. (yes. I know the attorneys wife has been breaking the law. So what? sue me. )
My house is finally starting to feel like a home.
Our home.
Send some new play lists my way. I need new tunes! Let me know if you play-- I wanna see your randomness!
1. Queen of the Supermarket - Bruce Springsteen *how did he know? *
2. Off Broadway - Ryan Adams
3. Tears Dry On Their Own - Amy Winehouse
4. Daydreamer - Adele
5. Hanging By A Moment - Lifehouse
6. Bruised But Not Broken - Joss Stone
7. I Hope That I Don't Fall In Love With You - Tom Waits
8. Sweet Pea - Amos Lee
9. After The Hurricane - Br549
10. Dream Big - Ryan Shupe & The Rubberband
Bonus: He Ain't The Leavin' Kind - Rascal Flatts
I've had some emails again from people asking me what the heck this Random 10 Friday is all about. It started 3.5 years ago when I first started blogging. I read this hilarious blog of a Wisconsin college girl, and every Friday she would post the first 10 songs that came up randomly on her i-pod. I found some excellent music that way... and I was new at the whole blogging thing, so I copied her. At first my random 10 Friday post was just that-- my ten random songs. Then, it sort of evolved into what it is today-- my random thoughts from the week (that I collect in draft all week) and then the first 10 songs that come up on my play list. It is actually my favorite thing I blog. I have consistently blogged the Random 10 Friday for 3 years now... and my music tastes are still the same. I need to spice it up a bit.
I really like going to various blogs and listening to their play lists. I have a piece of paper that I write the tunes that I like down on, while I'm surfing. Then I download the new stuff I find. THIS gal always has great tunes!
Come out and play with us!
******************************************************************
I bundled up all the wires, and made sure that everything was going where it needed to be-- found some wires that went to nothing, and got them out of there. Once I was done all cleaning and organizing, I went to sit down at my clean, organized desk and blog. Only the computer wouldn't turn on. And the laptop couldn't find any Internet connection. Great. I broke not only the desktop computer, but the modem for the Internet too.
It was a long day. By the end of it, I was sort of desperate. Jefe came home to fix my mess, and came out of the office laughing. He said "Seriously? Let me teach you something. See that button right there on the power cord? When its pointing this way, its off. When its pointing this way its on.
On. Off.
On. Off.
Off.
Now its On.
See how that works?!"
Then he proceeded to mock me all night long. Apparently I had just turned off the power cord and forgot to turn it back on.
Yes. I am a ditz. So??
*****************************************************************
I have a "whatever" kind of attitude. I speak my mind. I think that some people actually hate that about me, but oh well. If I have an opinion I am more than happy to share it-- and it's no skin off my nose if you don't think the same way.
My best friends are all like that. We speak our minds, we know exactly where we stand with each other and there is no "reading between the lines". I actually really like that. I want people around me that are willing to tell me what they really think, but don't feel the need to try and convince me that my opinion is wrong, and theirs is right. I try really hard to not do that to others. I am more than willing to look at all sides of things, and if I am wrong, I will admit it.
I really want my daughter to be unafraid to say what she thinks... and trust me, so far she has no problem telling me and Jefe what she thinks. But, she hasn't quite been able to master the "whatever" attitude. By that, I mean the "I have thoughts, and feelings, and WORTH, and I don't care what anyone else thinks about me." I want her to gain that kind of confidence. The question is HOW. How do you do that? How do you give that gift to your children? Does it just come with life experience? I hope not. I want it to be there before she hits the dreaded dating age.
Sometimes I find myself thinking that herding cats would be easier than trying to be a parent.
*************************************************************
Every time I get in the car I fight a battle. It feels like it is more of a loosing battle than anything. For some reason, when that car starts, all I can think about is going through the drive through for a diet coke and fries. It doesn't matter the time of day. I actually find myself arguing with my self about getting the junk, driving into the drive through-- gaining my self control for just that moment to then drive out the exit. It's a hefty battle. I love my soda. I love french fries. This morning I compromised... I just got the soda from 7-11, and I skipped the donuts AND fries.
Maybe there is hope yet.
**********************************************************************
I'm still painting. I did all the easy rooms first. The kitchen has yet to be done. It had the most dings in the walls, and the most taping to be done. So, I just have skipped it completely. I did last night start painting the desk area in the kitchen. I had left over red paint-- so I just threw that up there. Now I have to finish that room-- its got 1 red section and then the gold color randomly painted all over. I have really enjoyed all of this painting.
Sometimes while I am painting, I turn the radio on, put Moxie in her jumper and sing away to her. She thinks its hilarious and will alternate between squealing with delight or singing along with me! Other times, when I can get Moxie to sleep, I will keep the music off and just be with my thoughts.
This painting has been cleansing for me. I had been living in a silent protest -- which, if you ask Jefe, was not so silent at all. I was angry about moving away from Chicago. I absolutely loved it there. Ever since I was a young girl, I wanted to live there. I just knew I would find fame fortune and happiness. I found the latter there, that is for sure. I was happy in Chicago. I found myself and it really felt like it was my home.
When Jefe got this job out here-- to say I was devastated would be an understatement. I know that this will hurt my family to know this-- it wasn't that I didn't want to live by them-- it was that I was in a really good place with ME. I found ME in Chicago-- and it hurt to have to leave there and try to start all over again.
I refused to pack. I did not pack one box. I thought maybe if I didn't help, it wouldn't happen. But, Jefe made it happen. When we got here, I refused to help unpack. I refused to hang up the pictures. I refused to decorate. I have been a great big stinker. He has been very patient with me as I have held my own form of a not- so- silent- protest. He is a good man, and deserves saint-hood.
This painting has been cleansing. My children come home from school and are excited to see what new walls have been painted. Thing 2 described it to the neighbor as being "homey". My children have thrived with the move. My not-so-silent-protest is over. It pains me even more to have to admit that to Jefe-- and to admit that he was right. It was a good decision. (I hate it when he's right!) I've even decided to go get a stupid Utah drivers license. (yes. I know the attorneys wife has been breaking the law. So what? sue me. )
My house is finally starting to feel like a home.
Our home.
*******************************************************************
Send some new play lists my way. I need new tunes! Let me know if you play-- I wanna see your randomness!
Catch ya on the flip side!
1. Queen of the Supermarket - Bruce Springsteen *how did he know? *
2. Off Broadway - Ryan Adams
3. Tears Dry On Their Own - Amy Winehouse
4. Daydreamer - Adele
5. Hanging By A Moment - Lifehouse
6. Bruised But Not Broken - Joss Stone
7. I Hope That I Don't Fall In Love With You - Tom Waits
8. Sweet Pea - Amos Lee
9. After The Hurricane - Br549
10. Dream Big - Ryan Shupe & The Rubberband
Bonus: He Ain't The Leavin' Kind - Rascal Flatts

















