Coffee Anyone?
Tuesday, January 03, 2006
How do you reason with a two year old? Is it even possible? I would like to learn those magic words that will keep my two year old from having melt downs in public. The melt downs aren't even over good stuff like lottery tickets, or basketball tickets. Its over stupid --opps, she says we don't say that word Mom!-- dumb stuff that doesn't matter. Like candy and cookies and coffee.
Yes you read right.
Coffee.
Today we had a melt down in the store over Coffee. Do two year olds even know what Coffee is?
Apparently, mine thinks she does!
She got it in her head that she was getting a treat at the checkout counter at the store. First she thought she wanted the Dora Cookies. But then changed her mind. Then it was the baby crackers she saw, and then the yummy candy. She just couldn't make up her mind.
I have always told my kids that they have the right to change their minds. That way they don't get sucked into doing things that they really don't want to do... they can say "I changed my mind and I have that right."
Anyway, I digress.
Where was I? Oh yes, Coffee.
At the checkout, she saw the magical thing that would make her life perfect, and she had to have it. A giant package of gourmet Coffee. It had a pretty picture on the front, and she just KNEW that this is what would make her life perfect. She grabed it, and put it on the counter. I promptly put it back. She promptly put it back on the counter. It went on like this for a while. She HAD to have the gourmet coffee. After Mommy tried to explain that she couldn't have the gourmet coffee, she decided that a meltdown was the sure fire way to get me to give her what she wanted. I mean, if she didn't get it, then surely she would die. Right?
She still has no coffee.
She's alive.
She's pissed.
Gourmet Coffee.
As if.
Yes you read right.
Coffee.
Today we had a melt down in the store over Coffee. Do two year olds even know what Coffee is?
Apparently, mine thinks she does!
She got it in her head that she was getting a treat at the checkout counter at the store. First she thought she wanted the Dora Cookies. But then changed her mind. Then it was the baby crackers she saw, and then the yummy candy. She just couldn't make up her mind.
I have always told my kids that they have the right to change their minds. That way they don't get sucked into doing things that they really don't want to do... they can say "I changed my mind and I have that right."
Anyway, I digress.
Where was I? Oh yes, Coffee.
At the checkout, she saw the magical thing that would make her life perfect, and she had to have it. A giant package of gourmet Coffee. It had a pretty picture on the front, and she just KNEW that this is what would make her life perfect. She grabed it, and put it on the counter. I promptly put it back. She promptly put it back on the counter. It went on like this for a while. She HAD to have the gourmet coffee. After Mommy tried to explain that she couldn't have the gourmet coffee, she decided that a meltdown was the sure fire way to get me to give her what she wanted. I mean, if she didn't get it, then surely she would die. Right?
She still has no coffee.
She's alive.
She's pissed.
Gourmet Coffee.
As if.

















