Nicknames...They're tricky
Sunday, February 12, 2006
Hombre informed me recently that he hates, and I mean HATES his nickname.
Well, that would've useful information--- 12 years ago.
I have called him Hombre for 12 years.
I don't know where the name came from, but I have always called him Hombre.
Apparently, He hates it.
I remember when we were dating, I wanted a nickname for him.
We both speak Spanish--- well, actually, I speak about as well as an eighteen month old learning to use language... At least that's what Hombre says.
Anyway, I remember these cute Spanish people that I knew when I was a missionary up in Washington. The lady called her husband Gordito... or "Little fat man. "
Which, was funny, cause he really was kindof fat.
I figured that Hombre wouldn't find that particular nickname very endearing, so I just started calling him Hombre-- or Man.
I liked it, and it just sortof stuck.
I called him that today, and Thing 1 politely informed me: "You know, Dad hates that name?!"
I told her that I knew.
I said, "Well, I could call you 'The Reverend', like one of the partners in his law firm does." The partner couldn't remember Hombres name, and called him "**** Sharpton". Hombre thought that was hilarious, and told him, "Yeah. Just call me the Rev... Cause you know, I'm Al Sharpton."
So, he does.
But, I just don't think "The Rev" fits Hombre.
I guess I could call him Al...
It would go with the "Anita" that Hombre has called ME for the past 12 years...
But that story is for another time.
I told him he had till the count of 10 to come up with a better nickname, or it would be Hombre until the end of time.
I got to 10.
I told him it was Hombre.
When he jumped up from the couch yelling "I've got it! I've got it! You can call me Jefe".
Now, for you non Spanish speaking readers... Its said like this---heff-eay.
You know, from the 3 amigos?!

Jefe.
He said, "Everyone will think it's funny"
Hummm...
I wonder if I can re-program my brain to go from Hombre to Jefe...
Well, that would've useful information--- 12 years ago.
I have called him Hombre for 12 years.
I don't know where the name came from, but I have always called him Hombre.
Apparently, He hates it.
I remember when we were dating, I wanted a nickname for him.
We both speak Spanish--- well, actually, I speak about as well as an eighteen month old learning to use language... At least that's what Hombre says.
Anyway, I remember these cute Spanish people that I knew when I was a missionary up in Washington. The lady called her husband Gordito... or "Little fat man. "
Which, was funny, cause he really was kindof fat.
I figured that Hombre wouldn't find that particular nickname very endearing, so I just started calling him Hombre-- or Man.
I liked it, and it just sortof stuck.
I called him that today, and Thing 1 politely informed me: "You know, Dad hates that name?!"
I told her that I knew.
I said, "Well, I could call you 'The Reverend', like one of the partners in his law firm does." The partner couldn't remember Hombres name, and called him "**** Sharpton". Hombre thought that was hilarious, and told him, "Yeah. Just call me the Rev... Cause you know, I'm Al Sharpton."
So, he does.
But, I just don't think "The Rev" fits Hombre.
I guess I could call him Al...
It would go with the "Anita" that Hombre has called ME for the past 12 years...
But that story is for another time.
I told him he had till the count of 10 to come up with a better nickname, or it would be Hombre until the end of time.
I got to 10.
I told him it was Hombre.
When he jumped up from the couch yelling "I've got it! I've got it! You can call me Jefe".
Now, for you non Spanish speaking readers... Its said like this---heff-eay.
You know, from the 3 amigos?!

Jefe.
He said, "Everyone will think it's funny"
Hummm...
I wonder if I can re-program my brain to go from Hombre to Jefe...

















