Roadtrip

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Hombre was sick of studying...
He decided that he needed a break, and that we should go on a roadtrip.
We thought it would be fun to go explore this weird little place in Utah--- Smith & Edwards...
We thought that it might be sortof like Farm & Fleet--- this weird little chain of Farm supply stores in Illinois.
It's not.
When we got there, it looked like a scrap metal place.
I really didn't want to go in...
and Hombre decided he didn't either.
It wasn't like Farm & Fleet...
It was gross.
So, we kept on driving.
We ended up in Logan, home of Utah State University.
Hombre's sister is going to school there.
His Dad did his under-grad work there.
My sister went to school there.
It was kind-of cool to see Logan...
There is nothing there.
We got on this road, headed up into the mountains, that all of a sudden turned into a 1 way road. They were working on the road, and there was no way to turn around.
So, we just settled in, to see where the road took us.
We ended up DEEP in the mountains.
There were snowmobilers EVERYWHERE!!!
I couldn't believe all the wide open space, there in the middle of the mountains to snowmobile on.
It was freaking awesome!!
We stopped at this "rest area"... It looked really spooky.
The snow had been plowed, and there was only 1 way in or out... I would've never known that there was a building back in there... That's how high the snow drifts were. Hombre really wanted to go in there, to "take a look around".
I didn't.
He won.
We got in there, and there was a building in there, and a parking lot where the cross country skiers were coming in and out, and also the snowmobilers.
It was soo quiet... The only thing you could hear was the wind blowing through the trees, and the occasional far away humm of a snowmobile.
It was crazy cool!


Can you believe how crazy high that snow mound is?
It's nuts! The kids immediately climbed to the top, and started frolicking in the snow... They thought it was awesome.
I stayed on the ground so that I could get the proof of how tall that snow mound really is...
Yes It is probably 3 times higher than the car.
And the ground is a SOLID sheet of ice.
Thing 2 promptly fell... About 4 times in a 5 minute period.











When we climbed to the top of the giant snow mound...
You could see this beautiful lake...



Bear Lake, to be exact.







My Dad was raised in this neck of the woods.
I had never seen Bear Lake in the winter...
It is really cool... ummm... I mean Cold.
I would totally love to have a cabin up there.
There is not only a ton of stuff for the summer, but lots of winter too.
Very relaxing, and not too far away.
Just far enough!
After we finished our tour of Bear Lake, looking diligently for Raspberry shakes (cause, that's what they are known for), which, BTW, we couldn't find...
We started for home.
The route that we thought we could go, was another pass through the mountains...
only it was closed.
Bummer.
That meant that we had to go through Evanston...
Wyoming.
Yup.
That's right folks, Wyoming.
The land of nothing.
Except trailers.
That's houses with wheels.
Everyone lives in Trailers.
ICK!
Evanston is really gross.
I haven't been to Evanston in well over 10 years...
Now I remember why.
It's yucky.
That very well could be one of the places that God will Thrust me...
If I get thrust to Hell, that is.

Actually, not ALL of Wyoming is yucky...
Just most of it.
Jackson Hole is AWESOME...
Yellowstone is AWESOME...
Jenny Lake is AWEOMSE...
The Tetons are AWESOME...

I actually want to have my ashes sprinkled all over Jackson Hole/Teton Mountain valley... but thats getting a little morbid...

So, there are some great parts... But the parts that are icky, are well, really icky.
Remember the gas station that we stopped at, somewhere in Wyoming, that we had to PAY to use??
Uh, yeah!
That's right!
Gross!

Anyway...
We decided to eat there, but didn't want fast food.
The only place we could find was a JB's Foods.
Umm, that place should be condemned.
It was gross.

At one point, Thing 2 was sick of being in the car, and started whining that he wanted to do something "fun. "
Thing 1 then told him that we weren't going to stop anywhere until he was having fun.
Smart mouth! (grin)
It was quiet for a long while, and then you hear this little voice from the back saying:
"I'm having fun now."

I hope that some day when my kids are grown, with kids of their own, they will reminisce about how their parents used to take them on these crazy roadtrips to nowhere...
"And it was soo much fun, that they want to do it with their kids..." SMILE!

When we got into Evanston... Hombre tells the kids: "Ok. Here is what we wanted to show you... The Landfill for Evanston Wyoming. And aren't you glad your Dad didn't move you HERE??!"

Anyway...
We went on a road trip today.
We had originally thought it would be a couple of hours...
But, Seven hours later, we got back home.
No worse for the wear.
With some great memories for the kids.
I hope...


  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes