That Vampire Book
Monday, June 23, 2008
I just finished the 3rd Stephanie Meyer Book. I waited a whole year to read this book. I needed to wait that long so that I could forget just how irritating these books are. I am not sure why these particular books irritate me so much, but they do. I know that I am now going to get an onslaught of comments about how I just don't “Get” these books. Or, I need to relax, they are "JUST" books.I know. I know. But, they really, really bug me.
Maybe its the fact that the vampire (again, I can not believe I read this book) is EVERYTHING I do not want my daughter attracted to. He is controlling, manipulative, and lets face it people. He's 100+ years old. Ick! He is seducing this girl... This stupid retarded (sorry. I know that word is so NOT P.C.) numb-nutz of a girl!
Bella.
She is another character that I just want to slap silly and then shake her to death. I guess I was never so over the moon about a boy that I was willing to give up everything. Never. Nor would my parents have allowed it. Seriously. That whole parental dynamic thing was weird. It seemed like Edward was a boyfriend that was heavy on the father figure role. Isn't that sort of.. oh. I don't know. Icky?
I was reading this book at the same time as my sister, ima10cow. We kept comparing notes, and thoughts. She texted me right after she finished and asked me if I had finished “that vampire book yet.” I asked her how she liked it, and she said “Its been several days... I'm not as irritated any more.”
Thats exactly how I felt. I kept muttering under my breath about how this book bugged the crap (with a capital C) out of me. Jefe finally asked me why the heck I was reading it, if I hated it so much. Well. I HAVE to find out if she marries the stupid Vampire(?!) or if she comes to her senses and realizes that life with a Vampire really would not be a that great of a life. I mean, lets face it. She gets woozy at the sight of Jacobs bleeding hand!! How does she think she is going to handle NEEDING blood?? She clearly hasn't thought this thing out! Sheesh.
I know that I am in the minority here, not liking these books. I have been trying to figure out why I don't like them. I guess I am irritated with the fact that I let my daughter (who had just turned 12) read these books before I did. It was at the suggestion of a friend... That was my stupidity, and I should have known better.
For me, reading these books = no big deal. A 12 year old = big deal! The fu-fu la-la feelings that I am sure were stirred up in her bother me. She was exposed to something that I can now never erase from her beautiful mind. It irritates me that they are billing this for YA... I would say it is for older YA's that have had more life experiences than that of 12-14 year olds.
I just don't want my daughter, or any of the Young Women I teach, to think that THIS is the way “True love” is. You should never feel like you have to give up any of yourself when you are with someone. I feel like it is a great example of love vs. lust... but maybe I am over analyzing this book. Maybe I need to just relax and enjoyme a good vampire/werewolf/human love triangle.
Eee Gads.
When my sister asked me if I was going to read the 4th book, I nearly shouted at her: “Yes! Because now I have to find out if she marries the stupid vampire, or comes to her senses and runs off with the werewolf!”
ps. I DO like Jacob. I liked book # 2 the best... because it was Jacob-centric. Edward creeps me out. Old man.
Pshaw!

















