What comes around, goes around. Or in otherwords, how I found my 2nd parents
Thursday, June 19, 2008
Life. It has a way of coming full circle. I like to think of it as God's little way of never letting me forget things. Or perhaps a kind of Tender Mercy, if you will. No matter what you call it, life does go full circle. My mother used to tell me that is why you are ALWAYS nice... because everything comes full circle. What goes around, comes around. That little saying is usually used with regards to "Bad energy"... but with me it has been my little blessing from above.
I lived, for 19 months, away from my family serving a mission for my church. I paid my own way(acutally my Dad paid my way...), and I actually called off a wedding so that I could go serve this mission. (I know you are wondering if Jefe is the person with whom the wedding was called off... Umm. NO. He's not. He's better!).
I wasn't allowed to talk with my family or friends... only via snail mail. I suck at snail mail.
We didn't watch T.V. or listen to the radio or even date. It was hard work (read: a lot of service, and teaching people about Heavenly Father & Jesus Christ), and yet it was life changing for me.
I served 10 months in 1 area. When I was transfered from that area (again. we had no say in where we would go... we were assigned), it was like leaving home again for me. Only worse this time around. I knew that the likelihood of seeing those people in Orofino again were slim to none. I knew it was time to move on, however, I was scared spit less.
You see, my assignment had been, up to that point, to be an English speaking missionary. Pretty easy, seeing how I actually speak English.
However, when I got this new assignment, it had been changed to Spanish speaking. I about DIED. Why?
Well.
Because I can't speak spanish, let alone teach people about God, and Christ.
I did take 4 years of high school spanish, and the only thing I could remember how to say was "where' s the bathroom" (very useful!) and "My horse fell off a bridge" (not so useful). I spent a lot of time crying. Crying because I was homesick for my last area, and all the friends I had made. And crying because I couldn't speak to the people I was assigned to work with. It was the most challenging thing I have ever done! It was where I actually learned to rely 100% on my Heavenly Father.
Now. You are probably wondering why I am telling you this story.
Well.
Its because it was in this area that I lived with a family, The Robbins. And, they treated me like I was part of their family. They took care of me, as if I was their daughter. They probably don't even know how much it meant to me, but it was huge. I was in a pretty bad car accident in this area... and Bro. Robbins ran me to the hospital because I banged myself up pretty bad. (no. i wasn't wearing my seatbelt! but in my defense, it was broken. But, we were stupid 20 something girls, and thought we were invincible! but, that story is another post in and of itself. Lets just say, we had angles watching us that day... we shouldn't have walked away!) He even helped me get crutches to use, because I couldn't walk for a while. Then, I got pretty sick. And Sister Robbins took care of me... and treated me like her daughter. Nursing me back to health.
They were so willing to cart us hither and yon... making sure we were always happy, and fed. It was a difficult, growing experience for me... this area. I couldn't speak the language, and I was sad. But, the Robbins were there, guiding me; helping me to be the best that I could be. Even giving me gentle reminders when I wasn't doing my best. Of all the areas on my mission, this one stands out the most. It is where I grew the most; where I learned the most about ME... and that I could do hard things!
I posted a similar photo like this one here a while back for my Throwback Thursday.
Imagine my surprise when I got a comment asking me when I was there, and if I had lived with any families. It was from JAN. We commented back and forth on each others blogs, and came to the realization that I had lived with her parents for 4 months. I had roomed next door to her wonderful Grandmother. I remember her Grandmother, Polly, quite well. We had many a discussion in the middle of the night when neither of us could sleep. She was a good woman. So is Jan's Mom & Dad.
I was thrilled to have found this wonderful family again. They mean a lot to me. They helped me during a difficult time... and I doubt they even knew that I was struggling. Yet, what they were doing helped me. Just being in their home helped me to keep my chin up, and keep pushing forward. It was hard... that mission thing. And they were my 2nd parents for a short, but important time in my life.
I even remember Jan, and her 2 older boys. Brother Robbins would talk about Jan and Ed... and his face would glow. I could tell he loved this daughter of his... And really. Can you blame him?! She is amazing! How could she not be... coming from the stock that she does?
My bedroom... on my transfer day from Royal City to Chelan, Wa. I was, again scared to death. Not only was I going to still be speaking spanish, but I was going to be training another new missionary in spanish... yeah. scared doesn't do the fear I felt justice!
Ahh. Eliots. It was 1 of 2 restaurants in this town. Don't you just love the giant mustard bottle? It had good burgers though. And you know me and burgers!
I lived, for 19 months, away from my family serving a mission for my church. I paid my own way(acutally my Dad paid my way...), and I actually called off a wedding so that I could go serve this mission. (I know you are wondering if Jefe is the person with whom the wedding was called off... Umm. NO. He's not. He's better!).
I wasn't allowed to talk with my family or friends... only via snail mail. I suck at snail mail.
We didn't watch T.V. or listen to the radio or even date. It was hard work (read: a lot of service, and teaching people about Heavenly Father & Jesus Christ), and yet it was life changing for me.
I served 10 months in 1 area. When I was transfered from that area (again. we had no say in where we would go... we were assigned), it was like leaving home again for me. Only worse this time around. I knew that the likelihood of seeing those people in Orofino again were slim to none. I knew it was time to move on, however, I was scared spit less.
You see, my assignment had been, up to that point, to be an English speaking missionary. Pretty easy, seeing how I actually speak English.
However, when I got this new assignment, it had been changed to Spanish speaking. I about DIED. Why?
Well.
Because I can't speak spanish, let alone teach people about God, and Christ.
I did take 4 years of high school spanish, and the only thing I could remember how to say was "where' s the bathroom" (very useful!) and "My horse fell off a bridge" (not so useful). I spent a lot of time crying. Crying because I was homesick for my last area, and all the friends I had made. And crying because I couldn't speak to the people I was assigned to work with. It was the most challenging thing I have ever done! It was where I actually learned to rely 100% on my Heavenly Father.
Now. You are probably wondering why I am telling you this story.
Well.
Its because it was in this area that I lived with a family, The Robbins. And, they treated me like I was part of their family. They took care of me, as if I was their daughter. They probably don't even know how much it meant to me, but it was huge. I was in a pretty bad car accident in this area... and Bro. Robbins ran me to the hospital because I banged myself up pretty bad. (no. i wasn't wearing my seatbelt! but in my defense, it was broken. But, we were stupid 20 something girls, and thought we were invincible! but, that story is another post in and of itself. Lets just say, we had angles watching us that day... we shouldn't have walked away!) He even helped me get crutches to use, because I couldn't walk for a while. Then, I got pretty sick. And Sister Robbins took care of me... and treated me like her daughter. Nursing me back to health.
They were so willing to cart us hither and yon... making sure we were always happy, and fed. It was a difficult, growing experience for me... this area. I couldn't speak the language, and I was sad. But, the Robbins were there, guiding me; helping me to be the best that I could be. Even giving me gentle reminders when I wasn't doing my best. Of all the areas on my mission, this one stands out the most. It is where I grew the most; where I learned the most about ME... and that I could do hard things!I posted a similar photo like this one here a while back for my Throwback Thursday.
Imagine my surprise when I got a comment asking me when I was there, and if I had lived with any families. It was from JAN. We commented back and forth on each others blogs, and came to the realization that I had lived with her parents for 4 months. I had roomed next door to her wonderful Grandmother. I remember her Grandmother, Polly, quite well. We had many a discussion in the middle of the night when neither of us could sleep. She was a good woman. So is Jan's Mom & Dad.I was thrilled to have found this wonderful family again. They mean a lot to me. They helped me during a difficult time... and I doubt they even knew that I was struggling. Yet, what they were doing helped me. Just being in their home helped me to keep my chin up, and keep pushing forward. It was hard... that mission thing. And they were my 2nd parents for a short, but important time in my life.
I even remember Jan, and her 2 older boys. Brother Robbins would talk about Jan and Ed... and his face would glow. I could tell he loved this daughter of his... And really. Can you blame him?! She is amazing! How could she not be... coming from the stock that she does?
My bedroom... on my transfer day from Royal City to Chelan, Wa. I was, again scared to death. Not only was I going to still be speaking spanish, but I was going to be training another new missionary in spanish... yeah. scared doesn't do the fear I felt justice!
Ahh. Eliots. It was 1 of 2 restaurants in this town. Don't you just love the giant mustard bottle? It had good burgers though. And you know me and burgers! So, yeah.
Life.
It really does come full circle. I have often wondered how the Robbins were. I left their home, in a hurry and never really told them how I felt about them. It was a regret of mine. I am thrilled to have reconnected with Jan and her family. And even more importantly, I am grateful for this little gift from above to tell these wonderful people that they made a HUGE difference in my life. I am grateful for them, and for their example; for their belief in a loving Heavenly Father, and Jesus Christ. Living with them changed my life for the better.
Thank you for sharing a little piece of your lives with me, oh so many years ago!
Postscript: Jan & I have synergy... because we both posted today about the exact same thing... even using some of the same photos. Weird? I think not.
Life.
It really does come full circle. I have often wondered how the Robbins were. I left their home, in a hurry and never really told them how I felt about them. It was a regret of mine. I am thrilled to have reconnected with Jan and her family. And even more importantly, I am grateful for this little gift from above to tell these wonderful people that they made a HUGE difference in my life. I am grateful for them, and for their example; for their belief in a loving Heavenly Father, and Jesus Christ. Living with them changed my life for the better.
Thank you for sharing a little piece of your lives with me, oh so many years ago!
Jan's Dad is sick... he has Cancer. Please remember them in your prayers.
Postscript: Jan & I have synergy... because we both posted today about the exact same thing... even using some of the same photos. Weird? I think not.


















