Monday, September 11, 2006
September 11 Memorial Video
This memorial video to September 11th... it is profound. I found myself crying at various points. I remember all too well where I was that awful day. I was getting Thing 1 ready for 1st grade. We had just moved into our new house in Illinois--we had been there for almost 3 weeks. I was watching the news while she ate her breakfast. I thought that they were showing a preview for a new action/adventure movie. Little did I know. When I finally realized what was happening, I just stood there motionless and speachless in front of the T.V. I had my hands over my mouth, and I was crying.
I was horrified... I called Jefe and told him what was happening. A Partner at his firm had a T.V. in their office, and everyone was gathered around it as well. We heard rumors that there was another plane that would've hit the Sears Tower had all the planes not been grounded. Jefe was sent home from work because the firm closed their offices. All of them. He stayed home the next day too. It was scarey!
I remember all the planes being grounded. Several were grounded at the Rockford Airport. The news was there... and people were getting off the planes-- begging for help. No one knew how long they were going to be grounded. Everyone just wanted to get home to their families.
Local Rockford people came and took in these strangers, gave them food and shelter.
I remember that after all of this happened, there was a different feeling in our country. I suppose that- that will be the closest that our country will ever come to being the way it was during WWII.
WE WERE UNITED.
We had a common goal... we didn't care about peoples religion, race or sexual orientation! We were all Americans! I remember feeling so patriotic...
I love my country!!
We went to church the Sunday after it happend, and I remember the building NEVER being as full as it was that day. People were hurting, and they were looking to God for the answers. Our Bishop gave us a beautiful sermon from the New Testament. I don't remember what he said... but I remember that for the first time during that chaotic week, I felt peace.
People were flying flags everywhere. My neighbors put up a flag pole... we bought a house one. Our flag flew 24/7.
I remember people had flags on their cars, trucks, buildings... it was such a unified time in our country.
Now we are a country that is divided.
I never want to forget that day. Or the feelings that I felt that day.
Thing1 on the night of September 11th was busily coloring at the kitchen table while Jefe and I were glued to the T.V. Every once in a while she would yell out "Mom, what happens in May?" and I would tell her, Mother's day. Then she would say"Mom, what happens in June?" I would tell her, Mommies birthday. We went on like this for quite a while. She would be quite for a long time, then holler out to know what happens in a particular month. After maybe 2 hours... she brought us all these papers and asked us to look at it.
She had made a calendar. Each month had a "Event"... mothers day, fathers day, easter.
For September, she had drawn a flag, waving in the wind... and written 2 words.
The War.
I was stunned. How did this 6 year old get what was happening... we were doing our best to shelter her...
I can't find that calendar.
Oh how I wish I could.
Remember the day our world stopped. Remember the day when everything changed.
Remember the day when you held your loved ones just a little tighter, and a little longer. Remember September 11th.
No matter how you feel about the war... please remember our soliders over there... Keep them in your prayers.
This day of days will be the one that we will always remember where we were. Thing 1 told me this morning where she was, and what she was doing... she had it right.
Where were you? Do you remember?
This memorial video to September 11th... it is profound. I found myself crying at various points. I remember all too well where I was that awful day. I was getting Thing 1 ready for 1st grade. We had just moved into our new house in Illinois--we had been there for almost 3 weeks. I was watching the news while she ate her breakfast. I thought that they were showing a preview for a new action/adventure movie. Little did I know. When I finally realized what was happening, I just stood there motionless and speachless in front of the T.V. I had my hands over my mouth, and I was crying.
I was horrified... I called Jefe and told him what was happening. A Partner at his firm had a T.V. in their office, and everyone was gathered around it as well. We heard rumors that there was another plane that would've hit the Sears Tower had all the planes not been grounded. Jefe was sent home from work because the firm closed their offices. All of them. He stayed home the next day too. It was scarey!
I remember all the planes being grounded. Several were grounded at the Rockford Airport. The news was there... and people were getting off the planes-- begging for help. No one knew how long they were going to be grounded. Everyone just wanted to get home to their families.
Local Rockford people came and took in these strangers, gave them food and shelter.
I remember that after all of this happened, there was a different feeling in our country. I suppose that- that will be the closest that our country will ever come to being the way it was during WWII.
WE WERE UNITED.
We had a common goal... we didn't care about peoples religion, race or sexual orientation! We were all Americans! I remember feeling so patriotic...
I love my country!!
We went to church the Sunday after it happend, and I remember the building NEVER being as full as it was that day. People were hurting, and they were looking to God for the answers. Our Bishop gave us a beautiful sermon from the New Testament. I don't remember what he said... but I remember that for the first time during that chaotic week, I felt peace.
People were flying flags everywhere. My neighbors put up a flag pole... we bought a house one. Our flag flew 24/7.
I remember people had flags on their cars, trucks, buildings... it was such a unified time in our country.
Now we are a country that is divided.
I never want to forget that day. Or the feelings that I felt that day.
Thing1 on the night of September 11th was busily coloring at the kitchen table while Jefe and I were glued to the T.V. Every once in a while she would yell out "Mom, what happens in May?" and I would tell her, Mother's day. Then she would say"Mom, what happens in June?" I would tell her, Mommies birthday. We went on like this for quite a while. She would be quite for a long time, then holler out to know what happens in a particular month. After maybe 2 hours... she brought us all these papers and asked us to look at it.
She had made a calendar. Each month had a "Event"... mothers day, fathers day, easter.
For September, she had drawn a flag, waving in the wind... and written 2 words.
The War.
I was stunned. How did this 6 year old get what was happening... we were doing our best to shelter her...
I can't find that calendar.
Oh how I wish I could.
Remember the day our world stopped. Remember the day when everything changed.
Remember the day when you held your loved ones just a little tighter, and a little longer. Remember September 11th.
No matter how you feel about the war... please remember our soliders over there... Keep them in your prayers.
This day of days will be the one that we will always remember where we were. Thing 1 told me this morning where she was, and what she was doing... she had it right.
Where were you? Do you remember?

















